Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pokemon league trip to Belfast

Options
  • 30-08-2012 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi dere guys, myself and Leon(popzmaster) have been talking, and we've decided to try and go to Belfast with as many people from the league and off here as possible.

Q - Matt, why exactly would we be going to Belfast?
    A - Well Jimmy, as we all know, nintendo have in their infinite wisdom decided to pass us over for the keldeo event, as in, we ain't getting it. So that was our primary reason, then we thought that perhaps, we could expand the visit somewhat by playing against the Belfast league as well while we were there(even though we're better). Also, packs are only £2.50 in sterling, which isn't bad, and we grab some food and stuff.

Q - How would we get there? Sounds like a right pain to me/
    A - We would go by... well we could decide that by vote Jimmy, this is democracy after all. The bus and the train are roughly the same price, 25 quid for a return, which is quite reasonable when you think about it.

Q - When would we go?
    A - Well it wouldn't be for say, 2 or 3 weeks, we have to find out when the Belfast league plays, give them a ring to check they're ok with enough players to play, they mind us taking the trip up, blah blah, etc.

So Jimmy, hope this answered your questions. We will be raising the topic in league, but this is so people can express interest, ask questions, whatever. Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

I've reposted this over on the Facebook group Dub Poke Club, should it get some replies from there I'll repost them over here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

If the train is booked more than 3 days in advance, it's a tenner each way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I actually know that(not to sound like a twat :pac:) but my presumption was based on how many people would actually book in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wedgelington

i've done a bit of research on everything so heres all the info for people who are interested, just to let you know they do discounts for groups of 10 or moreif we all book at once

the train times and days from connolly
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/DublinBelfast111.pdf
    as chris mentioned before its only 9.99 each way if we book more than 3 days in advance

heres the belfast league's play pokemon page
    https://www.pokemon.com/us/account/play-pokemon-leagues/6230/

and just to let everyone know the university is quite near the train station, so a taxi from the train to the uni would probablly only be around 10 minutes and dirt cheap

now before we go booking everything i have to say that there is no way i can go to this because i have the girlfriends debs on the 20th, however, anytime after that is perfectly fine for me but if you guys want to go ahead and book it for before that its totally cool, just don't go making us look like amateurs

Well we can have a proper discussion on Tuesday at the league, but thanks for the info though :) Like, we'd need a certain amount of people to make us arranging to play the Belfast players worthwhile. No point two of us going to represent the whole shindig :p

• Advertisement

yeah better off waiting till tuesday when we have everyone gathered but i just thought i'd do a bit of preliminary research :p, i'd say we need atleast a solid 5 to make it worth while, i'm fairly sure you can count aidan in and if done after the 20th of september i'm 100% there, that makes 4 inlcuding yourself and leon, hopefully we'll get more recruits on tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Are there definitely still Game/Gamestations open in Belfast since they shut down operations south of the border?

There are indeed.

So, I was up in Newry today, did some looking to see about Game/gamestation. The one in Newry was closed, said the nearest ones were craigavon and Belfast :D so thats sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I'd go, for the lulz (but mostly for the Keldeo :P)

Keep up the informing, I'll plan around it.

• Advertisement

Awh yeah, gonna be some mad bants, 3 confirmed :D

gonna be some serious lad bant going down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

We will be having the bants like serious professionals.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

No way I'd be able to do this. 20 odd quid to Dublin, then 25 or so on to Belfast.

Buses aren't much better, with anywhere between a 4 to a 6 hour journey that'd involve changing 1-2 times.

We'll be having the banta like its 1997 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

cloud wrote:
    The one in Newry was closed, said the nearest ones were craigavon and Belfast so thats sorted.
    Don't go to Craigavon, not that you could easily by bus, but it's a miserable shopping centre, and there's f-all to do once you're finished in Game. At least with Belfast there's a train station to bum around, and uninteresting side streets to disappoint you. Then again, if Matalan is your bag, enjoy! I presume you're pricing up the cost of the individual tickets vs hiring a van for the day and doing the road trip the right way?

Well its not really a road trip, its a trip to play against new people, grab keldeo, have the craic. Think I'm the only one with a driving licence anyway :P

nah forget driving, we'll get the train for the added comfort and craic i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

I know Serbii isn't the best to be relying on for information, they have even said themselves its still unconfirmed, but just thought this was worth a mention. GAME are supposedly going to be distributing Genesect on the release day of B/W 2.

So a trip over to England or up to Belfast might be on the cards for B/W 2 if this event is going to end up like the Keldeo one.

What are other peoples thoughts? I think this could be Nintendo's way of cutting costs by shifting the cost of to store owners instead and halving their own number of Wifi events seeing as they are currently holding a few different wifi tournaments and such.

We have at least 6 confirmed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Our tentative date is Tuesday 25th this month, I believe our boy cloudo was onto the belfast organizer if he'd like to shed some light onto the subject

Need to have a quick word with the Belfast guy, but he's suggested trying to make it competitive, get POP to give us some trophies to hand out, etc. The biggest issue is time, since we'd have to make our way back to Dublin fairly handy, or get stranded in the north for the night :pac:

cloud493 wrote: »
    Need to have a quick word with the Belfast guy, but he's suggested trying to make it competitive, get POP to give us some trophies to hand out, etc. The biggest issue is time, since we'd have to make our way back to Dublin fairly handy, or get stranded in the north for the night :pac:
    sounds like a damned good idea, hopefully we'll get something out of it, as for time i'm not 100% but i think the buses goe near enough all night so we could get the train up and bus back, either that or get them to start their league it a couple of hours earlier

Advertisement