Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland - what benefits?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My friend has been living and Working in the UK for 6 years and is now returning to Ireland to help out with family matters.

What benefits if any would he be able to claim while looking for work?

Would his social security contributions from the UK be transferrable ( although he is resigning from his current job)?

How much (roughly or worst case scenario) of a waiting time would there be? (EDIT just saw the waiting times survey)

I have been looking on the citizens info website and the cross care site but I was just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or knows anyone who has returned?

Thank you,
    Movingsucks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Hello,

My friend has been living and Working in the UK for 6 years and is now returning to Ireland to help out with family matters.

What benefits if any would he be able to claim while looking for work?

Would his social security contributions from the UK be transferrable ( although he is resigning from his current job)?

How much (roughly or worst case scenario) of a waiting time would there be? (EDIT just saw the waiting times survey)

I have been looking on the citizens info website and the cross care site but I was just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or knows anyone who has returned?

Thank you,
    Movingsucks :)

Is your friend an Irish National?? You friend will have to satisfy habitual residence. He will have to show that he has severed all links with UK e.g. P45 from uk.... proof of termination of lease in UK... transportation of personal belongings from UK and after 6 years he would have accumulated some personal belongings that you could not bring in a suitcase. Proof that he is looking for work on his return...e.g. registration with recruitment agencies... emails of jobs applied for.
    If he gets a job here then his contributions from the uk can be transferred and he would possibly have an entitlement to jobseekers benefit which is not means tested and not subject to habitual residence.

AFAIK cross care only deal with returning irish 60 years plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

He is Irish yes,
    He's moving back for good so will have all that :) sorry if that wasn't clear.

He is Irish yes,
    He's moving back for good so will have all that :) sorry if that wasn't clear.

He should be fine once he can show he has severed all links to uk and is looking for work here and that all of his immediate family live in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

just be aware he could be waiting for a fair amount of time by the time the hrc starts he could be waiting for a couple of months. this is not as easy as it sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Thanks Maryk, we figured that might be the case alright :(

• Advertisement

Thanks Maryk, we figured that might be the case alright :(

While he is waiting for his jobseekers to be processed he can apply to the community welfare officer for supplementary welfare allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

yes they can apply to the cwo but they will do the hrc as well and this can take just as long.

maryk123 wrote: »
    yes they can apply to the cwo but they will do the hrc as well and this can take just as long.

Hrc for supplementary welfare allowance is less stringent than for jsa and will be approved much quicker from my experience.

Advertisement