Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent advice please. Illness benefit Expires, where to now.

Options
  • 30-08-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I would greatly appreciate any advice please.
    My illness Benefit expired today and I had applied for IP on the advice of the IB section. I received a letter today saying it was decided by a medical officer that Im not entitled to it.
    I didnt have a medical review since last September when they deemed me unfit for any work at the time, but Iv seen no one since, and I knw that the medical report sent by my doctor recently advised that I was also still unfit for work.

My case is that of depression and a collapsed marriage to boot. After our 3rd child was born 2 and half yrs ago I had post natal depression and was treated with meds for same including counselling but it was a very difficult time financially and my mother died aswell suddenely during that time.
    Then Last yr I discovered my husband was having an affair with a work colleague and I went into melt down. I literally couldnt cope and we have had counselling etc both joint and separate but to no avail. He says its over but they still work together 45 a week.
    He is from Kerry, his job is in cork. We have to stay living under the same roof because of the mortgage and so he has no where else to go. I cant cope on a daily basis sometimes and struggle to get dressed. My children are well looked after and because we dont argue about this infront of them they mostly see a very sad mommy who cant see an end to the depression and heartache because I cant trust my husband ever again and I struggle to be in the same as room as him.

So now I havent a clue about what to do. We'll be down my €188 a week which covers the shopping and petrol for my car. My husbands wages pay the mortgage and all the bills, petrol for his car etc.
    We also have a 19 yr old son in college and so the house has 3 adults and 2 children. €188 goes a long way for us.
    What on earth do I do now?
    The letter says I can appeal the decision but even at that we'll be down a massive amount of money. I had applied for the IP payment back at the start of June when I got the letter. It took until today to be told I wasnt getting it.

Im in a bit of a panic to say the least, and from reading other posts and forums I wont be entitled to SW allowance due to husbands wages eventhough just over half of it covers the mortgage.
    Sorry now Im rambling but I dont know what to do....

Any advice please....................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shellivad

I should have added that my job is still open at work and being covered by the girl who filled in for my maternity leave. So I assume I cant apply for JS allow or benefit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pop down to your local health centre- there are other options that the Community Welfare Officer can discuss with you- such as the Family Income Support (FIS) scheme for example. You need to get the ball rolling on this asap though.

I'd also suggest- asking in the State Benefits forum for guidance- they may be more up to speed than others on entitlements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi OP, I've moved this to the State Benefits forum - as SmcCarrick says, you're more likely to get help here. However, I've left a link to this thread in LTI just in case someone might spot it there as well.

Really sorry to hear of your situation, and I hope you can find some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shellivad

Thanks. I will go to my local Officer this morning and see where I go from here. We have no other money and I thought our situation was bad enough with all the bills etc just barely being covered, and words barely being spoken. Its already a an intolerable situation for me and the effort to try and keep this from our children is wearing me down. Now we are losing so much money on top of everything....
    How can they just make a decision with out seeing the person involved? The company doctor also informed my workplace only back in May this year that I wasnt fit for work and that he didnt see a date in the near future either. I will assume that my job wont be left open forever but for now Im in no way fit to be there and all your wits are needed and full concentration at all times.
    Rambling again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Shelli, i have pm'ed you.

All the best,
    Rosehip

• Advertisement
Advertisement