Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can my ex-s rent allowance limit be higher than mine with 2 kids?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi,

im a bit confused here with all the new rent allowance limits in the area. me and my ex are both on rent allowance and we both are living in the same county. now my rent allowance limit is 670 euros a month (that limit is up on social welfare homepage) and im living with two kids in a 2 bedroom house. im working part-time. i cant move out as i dont seem to find a suitable 3 or 4 bedroom house for that amount of money. fair enough, we still squeeze in.

now i was talking with my ex, who is on btea and getting rent allowance aswell. he is at the moment signing new lease contract for his 3 bedroom house in the same county for 725 euros a month. at first i tought hes paying extra himself, but he said no, he got a letter from social welfare that his limit is 725. hes living alone! how that can be? are these limits for everyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

everyone is means tested so no-one gets the same. like does he pay maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

everyone is means tested so no-one gets the same. like does he pay maintenance?
    Everyone in the same situation gets the same limit.

Op he shouldnt get more than you. My gues is he is paying more himself but wont say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

but the situations are different, op is working part-time. ex is attending college, who has the kids the majority of the time? who is paying for education costs? etc etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Are both of you dealing with the same CWO?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

younglady wrote: »
    hi,

im a bit confused here with all the new rent allowance limits in the area. me and my ex are both on rent allowance and we both are living in the same county. now my rent allowance limit is 670 euros a month (that limit is up on social welfare homepage) and im living with two kids in a 2 bedroom house. im working part-time. i cant move out as i dont seem to find a suitable 3 or 4 bedroom house for that amount of money. fair enough, we still squeeze in.

now i was talking with my ex, who is on btea and getting rent allowance aswell. he is at the moment signing new lease contract for his 3 bedroom house in the same county for 725 euros a month. at first i tought hes paying extra himself, but he said no, he got a letter from social welfare that his limit is 725. hes living alone! how that can be? are these limits for everyone?

Have a look at citizens information... I find it impossible to post links from ci but there is information on the maximum amount for each county that you are allowed pay in rent to be considered for rent allowance this is done on a single person/single person with children/couple with children etc. Maybe his landlord is stating that he is paying less than what he is and is paying the landlord a top-up. If this is the case then both the landlord and your ex are committing fraud.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

well got link to work... scroll down and you will see rates for each county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 younglady

No he wont pay extra or top up himself. He has no money for that, he is always broke and always was. He doesnt work for cash aswell. He told me clearly his limit is 725 and he got letter about that.

No cwo is not the same, my one is local in health centre, his is in dublin.

Limits should the same and these limits are not means tested. My payment is means tested, but thats another story.

He pays me a tenner a week, not more. Even if he lies to social that he pays more, ot doesnt upper his limit.

No he wont pay extra or top up himself. He has no money for that, he is always broke and always was. He doesnt work for cash aswell. He told me clearly his limit is 725 and he got letter about that.

Limits should the same and these limits are not means tested. My payment is means tested, but thats another story.

He pays me a tenner a week, not more. Even if he lies to social that he pays more, ot doesnt upper his limit.

Well have a look at citizens info link that I posted. In any part of dublin €725 is over the limit for a single person.

eastbono wrote: »
    hi,

Have a look at citizens information... I find it impossible to post links from ci but there is information on the maximum amount for each county that you are allowed pay in rent to be considered for rent allowance this is done on a single person/single person with children/couple with children etc. Maybe his landlord is stating that he is paying less than what he is and is paying the landlord a top-up. If this is the case then both the landlord and your ex are committing fraud.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

well got link to work... scroll down and you will see rates for each county.

According to that his limit is 625 because he had one child with another lady and that lady wrote some sort of letter for him ( that he has that child few nights a week which he does not but thats between her and him)

I have 1 child with him and never wrote that kind of letter. Maybe he wrote that letter himself and faked my sign? But still that rent limit does not make sense.

eastbono wrote: »

Well have a look at citizens info link that I posted. In any part of dublin €725 is over the limit for a single person.

We arent in dublin even ...

According to that his limit is 625 because he had one child with another lady and that lady wrote some sort of letter for him ( that he has that child few nights a week which he does not but thats between her and him)

I have 1 child with him and never wrote that kind of letter. Maybe he wrote that letter himself and faked my sign? But still that rent limit does not make sense.

Ah that was going to be my next suggestion that he has a child staying with him. So his limit would be €775-€875 depending on what part of Dublin he is in.

• Advertisement

we are both in co. wicklow, not in dublin.

Well you said earlier that his cwo is in Dublin maybe he comes into the Dublin area.

all the new applicants deal with dublins office. that is so since a year or two. his still living in co. wicklow so the limit should be the same for him.

if i would change my house i would have to deal with dublins office. would i get higher limit then? i dont think so, limit is still the same for everyone is it not?

all the new applicants deal with dublins office. that is so since a year or two. his still living in co. wicklow so the limit should be the same for him.

if i would change my house i would have to deal with dublins office. would i get higher limit then? i dont think so, limit is still the same for everyone is it not?

he is dealing through the central rents so then. Look I dont know why he can rent somewhere more expensive than you. Best thing you can do is take it up with you cwo.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Different rent limits apply to Bray, Greystones and Delgany than the rest of Wicklow. These limits don't appear on the site but they are the ones that are in use.
    AFAIK to get a rate which takes into consideration that there are children staying with a parent then that parent must have legal or joint custody. A letter from the other parent shouldn't be taken into account.

Advertisement