Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance - Cancellation Terms

Options
  • 30-08-2012 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Im looking for information in regarding what i am covered for if i have to cancel a holiday

my situation is ive booked a holiday for end of october leaving on a friday but i possibly have a sports final which i couldnt miss on the sunday

if i take out travel insurance,will i be covered if i choose to cancel my holiday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Very doubtful especially considering you know in advance of the possibility that you may not be able to make it. Travel insurances come with a lot of terms and conditions and usually it takes the person travelling to become ill or have someone close to them become seriously ill/die before they will compensate even then you usually have a fight on your hands.
    Is there a cooling off period with the agency you booked with if so you could cancel within the time frame and rebook doing a diy holiday where you would only pay for your flights and a small deposit for your hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,384 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No chance. Outside of an airline strike or a natural disaster like the Icelandic volcano, death and sudden illness are the only things that can be invoked to claim for a cancellation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's your decision to go to the sports final. Insurance will only pay out if something like a volcano or sudden illness prevents you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EmCrimmo

Hey there,
    I was due to fly out on holidays to Thailand in two weeks time. Unfortunately due to illness (which I have a doctors letter for) I cannot make the trip. I have travel insurance.
    I booked my whole trip myself and not through a travel agency and everything is paid up in full.
    Do I cancel everything myself or contact my travel insurance and they do it for me?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 25,384 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

EmCrimmo wrote: »
    Hey there,
    I was due to fly out on holidays to Thailand in two weeks time. Unfortunately due to illness (which I have a doctors letter for) I cannot make the trip. I have travel insurance.
    I booked my whole trip myself and not through a travel agency and everything is paid up in full.
    Do I cancel everything myself or contact my travel insurance and they do it for me?

You have to do the cancelling. And FFS next time, don't resurrect a seven year old thread, start a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 flo__wer

Correct me if I'm wrong but cancellation policy comes into action usually when the flight is cancelled or delayed. But not when you plans have changed. But anyways double check your insurance terms and give a call to your insurance agency
    for example my insurance provider Allianz cancels only during the review period, but even if the period has passed, you still can get some benefits out of the insurance. still all these terms should be talked over with the insurance agent

Advertisement