Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to apply for Job seekers

Options
  • 30-08-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Boards,
    I am in my early 30's. I have worked since college but due to circumstance I will find myself unemployed in a month. I've been doing a full time masters during the day and a part time college course at night. At the moment I am looking for a job but not much look so far. I may have something in November but this leaves me a month without any income at all. (I receive a grant monthly for the master at the moment). I just need it to cover rent until I start working again.

So could anyone tell me.

1. Can I apply for a job seekers allowance. how do I do this??

2.Can I get it just for a couple of months.

I stopped working (paying tax) October 2011.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

If you're in full-time education you're not eligible for the dole or rent supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Oh right,
    I was working for 10 years up until I lost my job and went back to do a masters. This finishes in a month so I will be effectively out of fulltime education??

Do I not qualify then??

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Once you're finished in full-time education you should be eligible. (FYI if your classes have already finished and you're just doing a dissertation during the summer , it generally won't count as being in fulltime education)

Anyway, it sounds like you'll be eligible for JSB. If not, JSA is a means-tested benefit and you might be eligible for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Hi Boards,
    I am in my early 30's. I have worked since college but due to circumstance I will find myself unemployed in a month. I've been doing a full time masters during the day and a part time college course at night. At the moment I am looking for a job but not much look so far. I may have something in November but this leaves me a month without any income at all. (I receive a grant monthly for the master at the moment). I just need it to cover rent until I start working again.

So could anyone tell me.

1. Can I apply for a job seekers allowance. how do I do this??

2.Can I get it just for a couple of months.

I stopped working (paying tax) October 2011.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

C
    As your classes have finished you can claim. You need a letter from the college saying that you have finished your masters.
    None of us like getting SW but you're more than entitled to it OP as you've been working 10 years... Just thought I'd throw that in there :) good luck hope you get something soon :)

You might have better luck asking over on the State Benefits forum, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Go down to your local office. You can find out which is your local one on www.welfare.ie.

Some offices do things by appointment (you have to make an appointment in person), some don't.

To arrive armed, come with your passport OR driving licence, your birth cert, proof of address (utility bill from last two months), a letter from college stating what date you finished, and bank statements going back 3 months. If you have a live-in spouse or partner, bring a recent payslip from them and any info regarding any savings or investments that they may have.

Put in a dual claim for both jobseekers allowance and benefit, and you will be given the best rate for you. If you had full contributions in the tax year 2010, you will be eligible for benefit. Otherwise you might get allowance.

If you are single or your partner is unemployed, put in an application for rent allowance also, if relevant to you.

They may just give you the forms and tell you to come back for an appointment, or if they are a small office, they might let you fill them out on the spot and submit your application there and then.

Dublin offices are getting dole payments sorted within a fortnight currently - country offices take 4-8 weeks.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Moved from PI.
    For anyone who has followed this thread across please note a different charter now applies. Please ensure you review this forum's charter before posting.

Thanks
    Taltos

Advertisement