Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensatory Pass in the Repeat Exams?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

I'm sitting my repeat exams this week (one I failed badly and one I failed by 1%). I've heard mixed stories about the compensatory pass. What I was told was that since I am sitting two, if I get over 40 in one, with double what I need to pass the other, then I can still compensate because both exams are in one sitting and I have not compensated any other subjects this year. Another person told me I am simply not allowed to compensate repeat subjects. I'm very confident about one of my repeats. The other I'm pretty sure I got over 35% but couldn't honestly say I got the pass mark. If I got, say 50% in my better repeat and needed 5% to pass the other, would I be granted a pass for the repeats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭emmbay

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'm sitting my repeat exams this week (one I failed badly and one I failed by 1%). I've heard mixed stories about the compensatory pass. What I was told was that since I am sitting two, if I get over 40 in one, with double what I need to pass the other, then I can still compensate because both exams are in one sitting and I have not compensated any other subjects this year. Another person told me I am simply not allowed to compensate repeat subjects. I'm very confident about one of my repeats. The other I'm pretty sure I got over 35% but couldn't honestly say I got the pass mark. If I got, say 50% in my better repeat and needed 5% to pass the other, would I be granted a pass for the repeats?

No, you can not pass with compensation in repeat exams unless you repeat all your subjects. This happened to me last year, I failed 3 subjects, I got 60%, 49% and 36% in the repeats but didn't pass by compensation because I didn't do all my exams I had done in May.
    I think you can only pass by compensation in the May exams and you can only pass by compensation if you have failed by 5% and have double that in another exam.
    I am not 100% sure as they are always changing the exam system, you should attend the consultation after you get your results and see what they say.

If you fail you autumn repeats and don't have over 55 credits you can't go into the next year of your course, you can either repeat the exam the next May or repeat the whole subject from January(it is really expensive and grants don't cover it)
    but if you have 55 credits out of 60 you can go into your next year but will have to pass the exam in May 2013. And some subjects are 7.5 credits so they are best passed in May if you want to go into your next year.

None of that probably makes any sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Hi, just wondering does anyone know about failing an oskey. I failed an oskey twice, does that mean I have to repeat the module or what, I passed all written exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The only way to get a compensatory pass is to either have a relative working there or else be such a knob end that the lecturers would gladly want to see the back of you.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

The only way to get a compensatory pass is to either have a relative working there or else be such a knob end that the lecturers would gladly want to see the back of you.:pac:

Emmmm..... First, I asked this in 2012.
    Second, I am neither a nob-end or related to anyone in the college and have gotten a compensatory pass before. There's sorta a rule about it?

Advertisement