Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning guitar to deflect unemployed blues

Options
  • 30-08-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

First of all I know this type of topic has probably been done to death, and I apologise for any repetition, but I would appreciate some advice and tips.

As you can see from the title, I'm currently looking for work. I'm a secondary teacher, and a little bit disappointed/frustrated I haven't secured anything for the start of the school year.

I want to keep myself busy, so I'd like to do something that I have always wanted to do, but never felt I had the time to give the commitment. I love music, but apart from the tin whistle in fourth class, I've never taken up an instrument.

How would one begin by learning the guitar, or in other words, what type of guitar should I be looking to buy to start off on?

Also, I know there is a wealth of instructive websites and videos on youtube, can anyone recommend any specific ones that they found useful?

Final question, if anyone knows of a good guitar teacher in Limerick I would be most obliged.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Welcome,

Here's a link to something that you should find particularly useful.
    Justin Guitar Beginners Course

It's Justin Guitars beginners course, he answers a lot of questions on buying a guitar etc, as well as the important first chords.

Dig in!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paligulus1

I think Justin's really the man for all levels. I don't think there is a better teacher on YouTube (Marty Schwarz's a close second). Stick with his lessons and try and get into a daily routine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Justinguitar is the best free guitar tutor on the web.

As for what kind of guitar to buy, there are really only 2 questions you need to answer;

do you want to learn on an electric guitar, or acoustic?

what's your budget?

The skills are very transferable between electric and acoustic guitar, particularly at beginner level. So just choose whichever appeals more.

€100-€150 will get you a decent entry-level acoustic. Maybe €300-€400 for something a bit better, but not necessary. Just stay away from some of those €50-€70 guitars you might find in toy shops, or Argos.

Around €200 will get a decent electric guitar, plus maybe €100-€150 for a practice amp.

Good luck, music is a great hobby and guitar is a fantastic instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

take a friend to the local used instrument stores.

as a beginner you won't (with respect) be able to tell a good guitar from a bad one.....

whatever your budget, for every Euro spent on a used guitar, you'll get 2 Euros worth of instrument.

I haven't bought a new guitar in 10 years and you wouldn't believe how many I've had through my hands!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭limerickhurl

That's great lads, cheers for the advice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hi everyone,

First of all I know this type of topic has probably been done to death, and I apologise for any repetition, but I would appreciate some advice and tips.

As you can see from the title, I'm currently looking for work. I'm a secondary teacher, and a little bit disappointed/frustrated I haven't secured anything for the start of the school year.

I want to keep myself busy, so I'd like to do something that I have always wanted to do, but never felt I had the time to give the commitment. I love music, but apart from the tin whistle in fourth class, I've never taken up an instrument.

How would one begin by learning the guitar, or in other words, what type of guitar should I be looking to buy to start off on?

Also, I know there is a wealth of instructive websites and videos on youtube, can anyone recommend any specific ones that they found useful?

Final question, if anyone knows of a good guitar teacher in Limerick I would be most obliged.

Cheers
    what music would you like to play? do your heroes play acoustic, gibson ore fender?? great time to buy a guitar!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭limerickhurl

Interested initially in playing acoustic. As I said, I have zero experience playing, but have always wanted to. Now that I (unfortunately) have a bit of time, I'd really like to do it. Love my music, from Clapton to Oasis, and the Floyd to Franz Ferdinand.

Looking to spend about 80-120 on a guitar, used if necessary...don't really know where to begin to buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Don't forget to get a good tuner - not necessarily an expensive one.
    The Snark clipon is a good place to start @ about €18, there are some cheaper Korg ones that are not great for about €14, they respond really slowly so you keep over/undershooting which is a pain.
    With a tuner you at least know that your guitar is in tune to start with and don't forget to check the tuning frequently - us beginners can be a bit heavy handed and knock the guitar out of tune very easily.

Justin guitar well worth a look, don't forget the forums as they are full of people asking questions and getting good answers.

Do a search for Marty Schwartz on youtube, between Justin and Marty you will have more than enough to get started.

Second hand is the way to go for value for money if you have someone that you can trust otherwise pop into a music shop, that way you will have some basis for picking a guitar apart from colour. Most music shops will have a stock of secondhand guitars from people trading up and are open to a bit of bargaining.

Don't be too hung up on brands at this stage, you want a guitar that will stay in tune, feels okay in your hands and sounds half decent, mass produced is not a bad thing, but be warned, there are Opinions out there that are practically religeous in their fervor regarding style, shape, material, year, factory, phase of the moon etc., a guitar that works and you are happy with is more than enough to be going on with. If it won't make you a better player then don't worry about it.

The music section of adverts.ie has some good deals in addition the to comedy gold that is to be found there, it is probably the best place to pick up a second hand practice amp, but I would suggest caution regarding a Guitar if you don't have someone with a clue to help check things out.

Have a look at the waltons website - they have their annual sale on at the moment there are some very good deals in the 50% off section even after you take into account the inflated starting price.

The main thing is to just give it a lash, there always seems to be a more complicated way of doing things but just get stuck into the basics, get over the initial hump of your finger seeming to be incapable of doing what they are told even when you are looking directly at them and wondering why they seem to want to move as a flock rather than as individual. IT does get easier, mind you I still have a strong association of pain with the letters "F" and "B" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭decies

Justin guitar also does a very good beginners song book as well as videos of some of the songs on the site , I would recommend do the beginners course at your own pace , and buy the songbook to help you along. Most of all enjoy it .

Advertisement