Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Auction League

Options
  • 30-08-2012 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure if one of the other leagues has adopted the auction draft format - whereby players are nominated and bid on from a set salary cap - as if the entire nfl were free agents.

If not, would anyone be interested in setting up/joining a Boards auction league? The draft dynamic might be a bit different and could be interesting. Do you use up your salary on a couple of big names, and fill out with scrubs/sleepers, or do you go for a nice even balance and hope there are some bargains at the tail end of a draft?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I know there was one a couple of years ago, but it wasn't renewed. I might be interested if you get the numbers, though we're pushing it for time to get it drafted before the season starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Yeah, I assume most people are hooked up in one or more leagues already. Still, no harm in asking, and I was curious about the auction format of the draft - might add a new twist to the process.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Auctions are cool, I think its a great way of drafting, completely different to snake drafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

As the extremely lucky winner of the last Boards auction league i'll have to defend my title :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Sounds interesting, you can count me in although it's a completely new concept to me so not sure how good I'll be.

What site can you do this on, is it just the usual nfl.com?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sounds interesting, I'm interested although it's a completely new concept to me so not sure how good I'll be.

What site can you do this on, is it just the usual nfl.com?

Maybe do a mock auction or 2 to get a feel for how it works, I've only done it on espn but I'm sure nfl.com do them as well.

Well I'd be on for setting it up etc, but we might be against time to get 10 or so interested and a draft date/time agreed on, lets see how it goes tomorrow, and if we can add 5 more and have a draft time agreed it might be a runner.

Failing that I'd be interested in having a shot at it again next season.

poldebruin wrote: »
    Well I'd be on for setting it up etc, but we might be against time to get 10 or so interested and a draft date/time agreed on, lets see how it goes tomorrow, and if we can add 5 more and have a draft time agreed it might be a runner.

Failing that I'd be interested in having a shot at it again next season.

You could wait a week or so and start for week 2 or 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

I will jump in also and advice use ESPN as they have the best auction league system from experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I would say set a draft for next tuesday (seems to be a quiet night for drafts here). I reckon you'll get 10 or 12 by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

I'd be up for it one the draft isnt on Monday...have 3 already on that night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

I can do Tuesday evening. We seem to have 7 already, it might work. A word of warning to newbies to this format, auction could take three hours. Not an exaggeration.

fisgon wrote: »
    I can do Tuesday evening. We seem to have 7 already, it might work. A word of warning to newbies to this format, auction could take three hours. Not an exaggeration.

I've no experience of it. The nfl.com one defaults to 45 seconds to propose a player, 45 seconds of bidding and a bid reset time of 10 (whatever that is)

We could chop that to 20 seconds to propose a player and 30 seconds of biodding to move things along?

Some more info on nfl.com here

Tuesday night would be fine for me - anytime from 9 onwards how does that suit?

I have to admit, my preference would be to host it on nfl.com, as it's more convienient to track and just have one login, avoid registration etc.

CoachTO wrote: »
    I will jump in also and advice use ESPN as they have the best auction league system from experience

Sorry, just seeing this now. As I mentioned, I've absolutely no experience of it, and if you're strongly recommending espn then we'd have to consider that.

My preference for nfl.com is solely based on familiarity.

What does everyone think?

I prefer ESPN as a matter of course anyway, plus it's the only place i've ever done an auction draft, so I'd be happy to go with that.

Cool so, two recommendations for espn. I'll go and sign up for an account so.

Anyone want to share some insights into the auction draft or do you want to ambush us newbies on the night?

Cool so, two recommendations for espn. I'll go and sign up for an account so.

Anyone want to share some insights into the auction draft or do you want to ambush us newbies on the night?

Im in a big one every year and one thing to avoid is going gun ho on every player as you will run out of cash very quickly. Also having no cash after the draft will leave with no funds to get FA.

As fun as it seems to run up prices in the end you only get stung yourself. No player is worth 75% of your money. The league im in 1 guy spent all his money on Rodgers Welker and Calvin Johnson. He finished near the bottom of the league because he had scraps left and when he got injuries he could do f*ck all with his team. He ended up trading out Rodgers.

I also suggest making it a Keeper Auction League as it will be more fun every year drafting.

ok, so we're looking at a keeper auction league on espn.com Gives younger players with potential a higher value. I'm going all Boston Red Sox and drafting a super-young team of prospects!

on the auction-side of things,
    I assume you keep proposing player until the teams have filled?
    How are FA's priced after an auction finishes?
    Can you trade players for cash after the draft?
    Shall we keep the same scoring as the main nfl.com leagues?
    If it's a keeper league, is it in our interests to lobby to get a full 12 14 or 16 compliment as I assume teams can't just join in the following year?

ok, so we're looking at a keeper auction league on espn.com Gives younger players with potential a higher value. I'm going all Boston Red Sox and drafting a super-young team of prospects!

on the auction-side of things,
    I assume you keep proposing player until the teams have filled?
    How are FA's priced after an auction finishes?

They have no price but the min bid is usually 1 but you can change i think. You bid on the player and the higher bid wins the FA. If two people bid the same it goes on waiver order
    Can you trade players for cash after the draft?

Nope just normal trade rules.

Shall we keep the same scoring as the main nfl.com leagues?

ESPN default theirs similar to NFL.com I think the only difference is Passing TD is 6 and not 4
    If it's a keeper league, is it in our interests to lobby to get a full 12 14 or 16 compliment as I assume teams can't just join in the following year?

I would go 12 for a good league. 16 is recipe for disaster especially if folk dont show up for draft fricking auto bid by the CPU is a joke. With 12 you have a better chance of all 12 turning up.

Lads if anyone fancies trying one of these leagues one of the ones im in needs another body. Drafting tonight at 8.30. pm if interested

• Advertisement

Dammit - only looking at this now. Sorry about that. Would have joined.

Advertisement