Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ONE Program and what to do with it

• 30-08-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

First time posting here. A little back ground.

Newly formed group and all Adult Scouters are new as Leaders ( 3 of us were scouts(Cubs all the way through to Ventures) growing up so some scouting background).

Did the Spices training (as have the other leaders in the group). Read the SPICES handbook but we are lost as to how the whole SPICES program works in terms of lands, activities and gaining the badges. ( The Adventure/Skills badges etc are fine just treating them as the old merit badges).

Basically we are running/planning meetings with 1-2 activities such as knots, crafts (sewing, card making), fire safety (followed by trip to fire station, basic campfire etc) interspaced with games.

Also outdoor activities such as hikes, treasure hunts, basic orienteering etc

What I would like to know is what to do with the SPICES program, how to plan around it and have cubs obtain the badges for the lands.

Also does each Cub need to buy their own copy ? It seems very expensive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Regarding the books our group buys them for the scouts out of group funds. I don't know if other groups do the same.

Regarding programme, a friend of mine works in programme development in Larch Hill and answering questions like these are one of his core functions. He's read the post (I sent a link to him) but isn't a boardsie. I'll pm you the email address to get in touch with him and he'll help out with answering them.

Best of luck with the new group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Good luck with ur new troop amen.

I'm a cub leader in our group and we're just starting to implement the one programme. It's daunting but we're going to run with it and see how it goes. We decided last week to choose a land (we did this by getting the cubs to vote) and we're using this land as the theme for our investiture in a few weeks. Our plan is to use the theme just to make our normal activities fit with it, rather than fitting activities to the theme if u get me?

We included the book as part of the fee for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Scouter123

hi amen in relation to the spices its a good idea to create a story around the theme. You can then use this to influence everything else in your program. You could for example use the native americans as a background and tie in their respect for land into the cubs daily lives and have them learn about their ways.
    amnt too sure about anything else, im mainly involved in scoouts so hopefully this helps a bit if i actually answered your question. Goodluck with the group

Advertisement