Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ballymun Safe?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Im moving to dublin this September to attend DCU/work in the city center and am planning to live in Gateway student Villlage. How safe is ballymun and the surrounding area? Where are the dodgy places and places to avoid? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Iamnumbernine

Well honestly im not sure as im not from dublin and its my 1st time living away from home so im just wondering because i know in the past it got a bad name as a dangerous place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

If you don't want trouble and keep your wits about you, you will be fine.

I have lived at the top of O'Connell Street and the beside the "dodgy" part of Tallaght. Never had any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Hello I worked in that area for two years and I found it grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

Safe as houses! Oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I was living in Northwood and used to walk into ballymun in the mornings to get the bus tbh nothing different from anywhere else. Although the accent always put me off. I also walked to the gateway few times at night not the smartest move as I ran most of the way. just don't walk around at midnight or some random time when its pitch black and no one around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

Pay a visit to the area before you move in, there are other places around for student accommodation if you don't like it. The thing about asking about an area's reputation is that you'll always have people leaping to its defence if they live nearby, so it's best to judge for yourself. Go into the shops, have a good look around the area, see if it's the kind of atmosphere you can see yourself living in for the next year.

Personally, I wouldn't say it's necessarily unsafe, but it's definitely not comfortable and you will encounter junkies. I looked at a few places around there myself last time I was house hunting. I was able to move into a nicer area a bit further away for the same price, so I did.

Oh, and another important fact: last year we had several emails about DCU students being attacked at night towards ballymun, and warnings not to go walking alone at night, so there's that the bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Oh, and another important fact: last year we had several emails about DCU students being attacked at night towards ballymun, and warnings not to go walking alone at night, so there's that the bear in mind.

WE ??

Yes Chucken, you and I, just the two of us.

Or, we DCU students.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from DCN.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

You should be grand in Gateways. Don't live in Ballymun but have lived on Shanard Avenue which is just around the corner from Gateways and never had any trouble and neither have any of my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

If you are going to wander around at night with a few pints on board and let your guard down there will alway be someone waiting for a chance to rip you off, be it Ballymun Ballymena or Ballybunion

Advertisement