Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropped out last year! Am i entitled to the grant this year!

Options
  • 30-08-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Last year i started a plc course and received the grant.. I stayed on the course until January.. I didn't like it so I dropped out..

This year iv'e applied for another plc course and the grant but I'm just not sure if I am eligible for the grant this year..

My circumstances haven't changed and I have a 2 year old daughter.

Does anyone know will I be eligible for it this year after dropping out last year!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You might get a half years worth, ring up your grant provider and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

denni26492 wrote: »
    Last year i started a plc course and received the grant.. I stayed on the course until January.. I didn't like it so I dropped out..

This year iv'e applied for another plc course and the grant but I'm just not sure if I am eligible for the grant this year..

My circumstances haven't changed and I have a 2 year old daughter.

Does anyone know will I be eligible for it this year after dropping out last year!!!!!!!!

I don't think you will be eligible for the grant if you dropped out

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

The way it goes is if your doing a 3 year course and you have done ur first year and received a grant u are no longer entitled to that first year. But can get ur second year when u start second year and your 3rd year when u get to 3rd year. Every time u drop out you begin back at year 1 . So until u progress to year 2 you won't get it. Now to say that I don't know if that applies to plc's but I know its the case for university. Like myself I've done my first year if I have to repeat I'm not entitled to another first year grant. or even if I change course.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Protagonist

I think you should give them a call.
    I know Jhcx is wrong since that's exactly what I did. I dropped out of my lvl 7 course and changed course next year. Because it was a different course i was allowed get my grant again the next year. It may have changed but its worth a try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I think you should give them a call.
    I know Jhcx is wrong since that's exactly what I did. I dropped out of my lvl 7 course and changed course next year. Because it was a different course i was allowed get my grant again the next year. It may have changed but its worth a try.

Did you switch to a level 8 course? If you switched up a level you would be entitled to it. I wasn't entitled to it after switching from one level 8 course to another Level 8 course for the first year. Got it back in second year. Im pretty sure Jhcx is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

As long as your not aiming to do the same course as before you should be entitled for the grant. But if it's the same course then as said above they wont pay the first year. If you complete a year I don't think your entitled to the grant either. Only for a student who hasn't completed a full year. Which from your OP I see you haven't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

DubDJ wrote: »
    As long as your not aiming to do the same course as before you should be entitled for the grant. But if it's the same course then as said above they wont pay the first year. If you complete a year I don't think your entitled to the grant either. Only for a student who hasn't completed a full year. Which from your OP I see you haven't.

Im 100% that if you don't complete first year of a course and do a new course of the same level the following year that you would not get the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

These are the exact rules. I've bolded the part that applies to the OP

(6) Subject to paragraph (8), a grant may not be paid in respect of a repeat
    period of study on the same course.

(7) Subject to this paragraph, paragraphs (5) and (8), and the specific progression conditions in articles 16 to 18 a grant may not be paid in respect of a repeat period of study, on a different course. Notwithstanding this condition an applicant who, having previously pursued any course, but not completed it, wishes to pursue an approved course, shall be considered for funding in line with the following provisions—

(a) Having previously attended, but not completed, any post leaving certificate course or equivalent, an applicant shall—
    (i) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved post leaving certificate course before being eligible to be considered for a grant; or
    (ii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved
    higher education course.

(b) Having previously attended, but not completed, any undergraduate
    course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, an applicant shall—
    (i) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (ii) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (iii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved post leaving certificate course where no more than one year was completed on an undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications, or
    (iv) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an
    approved post leaving certificate course where more than one
    year was completed on any undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7
    of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, before being
    eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (v) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved
    postgraduate course.[189] 15
    (c) Having previously attended, but not completed, any undergraduate
    course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent,
    an applicant will—
    (i) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an
    approved undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of
    qualifications before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (ii) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an
    approved undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework
    of qualifications before being eligible to be considered for a
    grant, or
    (iii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved
    post leaving certificate course where no more than one year was
    completed on an undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications, or
    (iv) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an
    approved post leaving certificate course where more than one
    year was completed on any undergraduate course at Level 8 of
    the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (v) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved
    postgraduate course.
    (d) Having previously attended, but not completed, any postgraduate
    course or equivalent, an applicant will—
    (i) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an
    approved postgraduate course before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (ii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved
    undergraduate course where no more than one year was completed on any postgraduate course, or
    (iii) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an
    approved undergraduate course at Level 6, 7 or 8 of the framework of qualifications where more than one year was completed
    on any postgraduate course at Level 8, 9 or 10 of the framework
    of qualifications, or equivalent, before being eligible to be considered for a grant.
    (iv) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved
    post leaving certificate course where no more than one year has
    been completed on any postgraduate course, or
    (v) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an
    approved post leaving certificate course where more than one16 [189]
    year was completed on any postgraduate course before being eligible to be considered for a grant.
    (8) An awarding authority shall have discretion to waive the provisions at
    paragraphs (6) and (7) in exceptional circumstances, in line with guidelines
    drawn up by the Minister.
    (9) Notwithstanding paragraphs (6), (7) and (8), a second chance student or
    second chance tuition student, in accordance with article 13(6), returning in
    order to pursue an approved course, may be considered eligible for a grant to
    pursue an approved course, including where this provides for a repeat period of
    study, subject to the rules of progression, as provided for in this Scheme and
    section 2 of the Act.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 20 denni26492

I rang them and they said ill get the grant this year but only from the month I dropped out last year

Advertisement