Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School or army

Options
  • 30-08-2012 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Ok,

Hi all, I'm 18 years old and my current medical discharge for the army is up, and i'm considering going back now to continue my training (british army not irish).

My problem is that in the time i was on discharge im after applying for a college course and at the moment im on social welfare, but i didnt have enough to pay for the course so i had some money put away for a course and my mum, my hero, helped me towards accomadation, but im not too sure if i'll get to keep my social welfare once my course starts, im not going to a university or institue or anything just a college of further education, so fingers crossed i get to keep it, it would be some help.

Anyway, my problem is that even though im after sorting all that out, my dream of going back to army is very strong, but to do that id have to drop out of the course and i wouldnt get my money back, all my friends are in cork and also my girlfriend is after moving up as well, none of us are living together so were al seperate, but i dont know could i afford to continue payments for accomodation because its too expensive for me.

ugh its annoying me to be perfectly honest, if i go to the army, im leaving everybody behind, my girlfriend promised to move over after her course is finished and ill be living in london, but im just not too sure, anybody got any advice for me?

it would be really appreciated, gracias!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

soul_jd wrote: »
    Ok,

Hi all, I'm 18 years old and my current medical discharge for the army is up, and i'm considering going back now to continue my training (british army not irish).

My problem is that in the time i was on discharge im after applying for a college course and at the moment im on social welfare, but i didnt have enough to pay for the course so i had some money put away for a course and my mum, my hero, helped me towards accomadation, but im not too sure if i'll get to keep my social welfare once my course starts, im not going to a university or institue or anything just a college of further education, so fingers crossed i get to keep it, it would be some help.

Have you applied for the BTEA - once you are on the dole for six (maybe nine) months you can apply for the Back To Education Allowance if you are doing an FE course. (HE is a year - but some discretion applies)
    Anyway, my problem is that even though im after sorting all that out, my dream of going back to army is very strong, but to do that id have to drop out of the course and i wouldnt get my money back, all my friends are in cork and also my girlfriend is after moving up as well, none of us are living together so were al seperate, but i dont know could i afford to continue payments for accomodation because its too expensive for me.

Girl friends and friends come and go - education is forever. The Army will still be waiting for you after the course. The out look for the GF of an 18 year old squadie - not so good. Harsh but I'm just trying to say it as it is.
    ugh its annoying me to be perfectly honest, if i go to the army, im leaving everybody behind, my girlfriend promised to move over after her course is finished and ill be living in london, but im just not too sure, anybody got any advice for me?

it would be really appreciated, gracias!

Do whats best for you at 18 - again that's harsh but have a look around and find out how many people are with the same friends and GF at 30 as they are at 18. Even 25 or younger tbh.

Just my advice - I stayed with a girl rather than join myself. Now years later I couldn't be happier - I'm 32 married 5 years and back doing a law degree. I can't help but wonder what life would have been like though.

Advertisement