Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

In Search of Classic Rocks Six String Things

Options
  • 30-08-2012 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

How do you like your guitars? Who is the greatest and which guitar sounds nicest?

After years of research, often alone and late at night I've come to the conclusion the best guitarist is probably British, probably born in the 1940s and probably quite left field and funky for a classic rocker.

Its probably Jeff Beck.

In terms of genuine progression Beck must be at the top really, from 60s session boogie woogie though pop, blues, heavy rock, jazz fusion, Niles Rogers disco, electronica and beyond he has dabbled more than most and nearly always to great effect as he has above everything else, good taste.

While the Beckmeisters solo jazz fusion works of the mid 70s are well known his contribution to the albums from UPP is relatively obscure.
    Rather cool retro-future which presaged his jazz rock breakthrough album Blow by Blow.

This is one of his greatest controlled performances, from his collaboration with uber-pop writer/producer Nile Rodgers its very 80s in terms of supporting sounds and some will reckon it sucks but I just love its total precision.

Spiky, I really like the choppy rhythms and staccato lead guitar here, thoroughly modern but still good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I present Robbie Krieger. Subtle explosions of brilliance.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

mike65 wrote: »
    How do you like your guitars? Who is the greatest and which guitar sounds nicest?

PLEASE Mike !!! Lets not turn the "Classic Rock" forum into a "Guinness Book of Records" one, like the "Music" forum has become. :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Rigsby wrote: »
    PLEASE Mike !!! Lets not turn the "Classic Rock" forum into a "Guinness Book of Records" one, like the "Music" forum has become. :p

Les Pauls suck.

No! Strats suck!

You suck!

Humbuckers suck!

Hendrix sucks!

There.

That's that done with.

Les Pauls suck.

No! Strats suck!

You suck!

Humbuckers suck!

Hendrix sucks!

There.

That's that done with.

:D

Just thought I'd nip it in the bud before we have a plethora of "best classic rock album ever", "best classic rock song ever", "best classic rock lyrics ever" etc type threads. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

funk-you got it (albeit with no supporting words)!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    got it

Thanks. ;)

*Breaths a sigh of relief.*

Advertisement