Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard and college books

Options
  • 30-08-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

I've been offered a place for a part time course with springboard. I'm thrilled because without it I could never have been able to afford college :)

Just wondering, I know the fees are paid for me but is there any book allowance or is there any way I can get any help paying for them? It just they can cost into the hundreds for all of them (it's a level 8 degree I'm doing) and I'm a little worried about affording them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Bubblefett wrote: »
    I've been offered a place for a part time course with springboard. I'm thrilled because without it I could never have been able to afford college :)

Just wondering, I know the fees are paid for me but is there any book allowance or is there any way I can get any help paying for them? It just they can cost into the hundreds for all of them (it's a level 8 degree I'm doing) and I'm a little worried about affording them.

I'm doing a level 8 course in computers and the cost of books never even occurred to me.

Some springboard courses include the required texts. Some try to keep required texts to a minimum and most notes through moodle.

In my computer course we needed one book per subject, and I got electronic copies of them all.. 4 as nice professional PDFs, one as a slightly crappy scanned PDF. Let's just say mp3s aren't the only thing you can download online...

I'm not necessarily suggesting you need to do it illegally by the way.. college libraries jumped forward in leaps and bounds and you might find that online resources give you access to all the texts you need. In fact free online resources like wikipedia, youtube tutorials and forums can be brilliant depending on what course you're doing. Your college shop might stock second-hand books, and amazon is also a good source of second-hand books.

Good luck with the course anyway. If you're really stuck I reckon your first port of call is the credit union or bank to look into the possibility of a loan. AIB also do interest-free overdrafts for students which may help.

If you really cannot afford college otherwise, your college may have a hardship fund.

CWOs can also provide assistance in limited circumstances. I'm not sure if this would extend to books for college.

Good luck with your course.

Advertisement