Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favorite weather type?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be fun to get a measure of what the nation's weather enthusiasts prefer in the line of weather. :) There is a lot of thunder heads on this forum but even in the summer, the cunning snow heads still find a way of discussing their preference for the 'sacred white stuff'.

So, if you won a prize that allowed you to chose to move to a country that was famous for either its perpetual snow; eternal thunder; unrelenting heat and sun or constant cool and rain, which would you pick? :)

For me, it would have to be the land of eternal thunder - end of!!

Which fictious land would you move to just for the weather? 107 votes

The land of Eternal Snow
    0% 1 vote
    The Land of Perpetual Thunder
    50% 54 votes
    The land of unrelenting Heat and Sun?
    28% 30 votes
    The Land of constant Wind & Rain?
    20% 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Thought it might be fun to get a measure of what the nation's weather enthusiasts prefer in the line of weather. :) There is a lot of thunder heads on this forum but even in the summer, the cunning snow heads still find a way of discussing their preference for the 'sacred white stuff'.

So, if you won a prize that allowed you to chose to move to a country that was famous for either its perpetual snow; eternal thunder; unrelenting heat and sun or constant cool and rain, which would you pick? :)

For me, it would have to be the land of eternal thunder - end of!!
    I like it windy, really windy. Dark early. A little bit wet but not raining.
    Very comforting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Perpetual thunder, perpetual thunder!

It has been three years since my last thunderstorm, and that was in Italy. The Whest has really let me down...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Snow and even more snow.

December 2010 was the best for me. It was only the third time I have seen snow. I used to live in Bray so I never got anything.

My favourite is the still mornings after it snowed where the snow sticks to the trees leaving them all white.

That and blizzard conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

That's a tough one DE,would have to be thunder......no snow......no thunder :confused:
    Can i have thunder snow ;)
    No really id pick thunder over snow

i think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anything but c:

1. (d)
    2. (b)
    3. (a)

Thunder brings lightning which edges it ahead of snow on the basis of the sludge and slush of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I would have to say I'm a huge fan of snow & also strong winds and driving rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

I think we would have a clear winner DE if a fifth option was provided.... THUNDER SNOW:D....Personally i find it a very tough choice between thunder and snow to make...Prob if my life depended on it i'd have to go with "The land of perpetual thunder":)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

As per username, snow snow snow! Love it so much! December 2010 simply super for me too, even though my wedding was on 30th and everyone around me was up to ninety ( we were marrying abroad!) I was just overwhelmed by the SNOW! Even right now in August, I would love to see some snow. I do like wind and rain too on a November night tucked under a blanket on the couch and it howling outside! Blizzards are the best thing ever invented though.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

snowgal wrote: »
    As per username, snow snow snow! Love it so much! December 2010 simply super for me too, even though my wedding was on 30th and everyone around me was up to ninety ( we were marrying abroad!) I was just overwhelmed by the SNOW! Even right now in August, I would love to see some snow. I do like wind and rain too on a November night tucked under a blanket on the couch and it howling outside! Blizzards are the best thing ever invented though.

I think you summed me up there as well :eek: sounds pretty much like a perfect day to me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sneachta Ban would be my fav

Love a bit of thunder but where I live it seems to miss me whereas if it snows I always get pasted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Sunny and windy is my favourite, though I like all in different measures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Warm and sunny. But I suppose that's because the grass is always greener on the other side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I like the cold . Also the stormy nights in the winter that you can look out at . But hopefully not have to go out in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

None of the above

I want 20C in a light northerly under brilliant blue skies with some fluffy white cloud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

snowgal wrote: »

As Tylercollins said, the perfect day :D

I think snow lovers are eternal optimists, we need to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

The ideal day (in an alternative universe) would be to wake up to a glorious sun rise, blue skies birds chirping, warm sunny morning.. then around 11am let the clouds roll in (quickly and ominously) black dark and full, cue the Thunder and Lightning...... and action!! Bring up the wind...oh is that a mini tornado I spy? Muhahahahaha!

After a few of hours clear away the clouds, and drop the temps pretty quickly... and then Epic Hail..... Cools the ground temps (superfast) and approx 4pm....The first snow flake falls.... beautiful snow showers (some of which are thunder snow) continue on for the rest of the evening and into the night dropping at least 6-8 inches by 8pm....

'Four seasons in one day, lying in the depts of your imagination'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Thunder all the way for me.
    I hate heat! Severely dislike wind and rain. Impartial to snow. But jaysus a good thunderstorm (like we had back in August 2000) makes me act like a 5 year old on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Ever since the July '85 storm I've been fascinated by lightning, we just don't get enough of it.

Fully intend storm chasing in the US at some point once I graduate and start earning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

cant beat a cracking thunderstorm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Warm and sunny just wins it for me,followed closely by the Thunder and Lightning Gods shaking their fists roaring in anger and firing everything at us.That is followed by the snow storm from hell followed by a good old Atlantic Wind storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i like a mixed bag, tbh. i spent a summer in relentless heat... and my gastrointestinal tract was very unhappy as a result.
    love a bit of sun, bit of heat, bit of thunderstorms and a bit of snow :)
    but hate wind and rain (unless it's a thunderstorm!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

This time of the year sun and heat but with occasional thunder to keep the place from completely seeing up. In the winter the occasional snow would be welcome. My ideal is a fine warm start and then watching clouds build up and seeing showers develop and turning into thundery monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I wonder if a lot of the traffic in here recently are the thunder bunnies coming in for a visit..nice to meet ya.. run the same quiz in the middle of winter when there is a faint possibility of one snow flake falling and see what happens then... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

eskimocat wrote: »
    run the same quiz in the middle of winter when there is a faint possibility of one snow flake falling and see what happens then... :pac:

It seems that running such a poll in summer makes no difference! Snow lovers have made up 49% of the votes so far!! :D

I am a little surprised at how relatively few votes hot and sunny has received at this point. Nice one to everyone who put in a vote so far. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hard to pick an overall favourite,

From a morale point of view it'd have to be a 25C day without a cloud in the sky, it gets everyone out and about in a good mood and gives me a great lift in the morning waking up to bright sunshine

From a weather watching point of view though thunder and lightning all the way, I've almost forgotten what its like to see a good thunderstorm but have great memories of one about 10 years ago with frequent fork lightning and massive rumbles

I like a bit of snow as well but the novelty quickly wears off when I have to get on with normal life

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Constant snow but with well treated roads and footpaths:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

As my main hobby is Astronomy, I'd have to vote for clear nights, and the closest of the above to this would be the sun option.

As long as there was enough water to not worry about drying to death, and enough wind in the region to generate and shape good surf, I think I'd be happy. The mountain and road biking would certainly be more pleasant in the sun than the dreary damp conditions we normally get around here.

If I won the lottery, I think I'd get two places abroad: a chalet in the French alps for the ski season and the kayak season, and a villa in Tenerife or Gran Canaria for the sun and stargazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Jeez ,we all comPlain about getting Shiite summers.
    We are then asked which would be your fave fictitious weather event and we all want snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Tough one. Probably all of the above except for rain and wind. I'd say what makes these weather patterns so nice is their rarity, which is why I probably don't like the wind and rain option. I'd get pretty sick of each after a while.

If I had to choose it would probably be a mixture of the unrelenting heat and sun and the eternal snow, but that would sound too contradictory. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Sun sun and more sun

Advertisement