Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bees Ready for Winter

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I got my first bee hive back in the end of june/ start of July where I bought a 4 frames of Bees from a Nuc I got from a local Apirary.
    Progress in the hive was steady. after the Brood Box started to fill up I added my first super of foundation frames (2 were drawn out)
    I am anxious to have this super filled and drawn out so my bees can be in good shape for the winter.
    A few weeks ago I added some Sugar Syrup help this along. But when I visited the hive today I was dissapointed with the progress.
    The Drawn out frames I added are filling up and but the majority of the foundation frames are showing little or no signs of being drawn out.

Should I be worried for the winter..I feel like the hive hasn't progressed enough

I there anything I could do to help this along

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

I don't have much more experience than u. Here's my 2c.
    I don't over winter with supers. I have in the last few wks taken off supers and added ashford feeders and feeding syrup. As the queen winds down laying there should be plenty of space available in brood box for stores. If they need food while clustered during winter they won't break cluster to use stores in super if there is a queen excluder on.
    Hopefully someone else with experience will add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 trihy

as marzipan said supers should be off by now unless they are on heather or you want ivy honey(most dont) then feed them as much as they will take in last 2 weeks of september (usually 2-3 gallons) and treat for varroa now if using bayvarol or apiguard

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Where can I source apiguard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 trihy

make your own with this recipe
    http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1840
    amazon probably the cheapest for the proper stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

marizpan wrote: »

Ben Harden Arklow

or

http://www.beesupplies.ie/

you will have to sign a piece a form/receipt as this info will have to go to the Dept of Agriculture.
    It cost 7 euro for a tray and you need 2 treatments per hive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

I left a super on last year on one of my hives (i also had a nuc) and they filled it up with ivy honey and also the sugar syrup i gave them after taken off 30 lbs of honey at the start of September. I took the queen excluder off so they could go up and feed if they needed and bring the queen with them. They came through perfectly and started building up in February of this year using some of the stores they had left over from winter.

Some beekeepers i know dont leave a super on. It all depends on what you want to do your self.
    marizpan wrote: »

You could also try your local association for apiguard but if your gonna use it, the temps need to be 15° C or higher and you also should use an EKE (or you could use an empty super! ;)) for it to work properly

The Drawn out frames I added are filling up and but the majority of the foundation frames are showing little or no signs of being drawn out.

I there anything I could do to help this along

You should leave the super on and try if possible to put the frames like this...

drawn frame, foundation, drawn frame, foundation etc and feed the heavily with 2:1 sugar syrup. that way the young bees will draw out the frames of foundation and if they fill it up, great, leave it on but take the queen excluder of. This will be their stores for winter.

This way, you will have a super of drawn frames ready for the nectar that will hopefully be brought in next year :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rashersangitch1

When I bought my nuke and started my hive back in July. Yer man I bought it off (who is a well renowned Beeman) said I should probably leave the Super on over the winter it would act as good store for the winter. I read some where that there should be about 10 to 12 well filled frames inorder to keep over the winter. (with super added I don't have much more than that)

But this raises some questions
    I bought some apigard to treat varroa. from what I've seen the apigard is put onto the brood frames (as opposed to the crown board) and the bees draw it down.
    If I have my super on do I place the apigard on top of the super?
    I know this will potentially taint any honey in the super for human consumption..(But thats ok as long as the bees have enouhg for the winter)
    Do I remove the queen excluder?

Note my absolute priority is to have a healthy hive for next year

Thanks

But this raises some questions
    I bought some apigard to treat varroa. from what I've seen the apigard is put onto the brood frames (as opposed to the crown board) and the bees draw it down.
    If I have my super on do I place the apigard on top of the super?

If you are gonna apply it with a super on, what you could also do is place the apiguard on the brood frames, then put an EKE on (if you have one) then the super. As the tymol in the apiguard starts to work, its right on top of the brood frames so its strongest there.

After the apiguard treatment is finished, you have to take out the EKE for winter because if you leave it on the bees wont go up to the super and could starve.
    I know this will potentially taint any honey in the super for human consumption..(But thats ok as long as the bees have enough for the winter)

Your right, it will taint the honey but as its for the bees for winter, that wont matter. if there is any left come spring they will use it for early build up.
    Do I remove the queen excluder?

You can leave the queen excluder on as well for the moment. its only when your finished with the treatment do you normally take off the QE as the chances of been able to open the hive due to the weather are slim from then on.
    Note my absolute priority is to have a healthy hive for next year

Keep your fingers crossed for winter and hope that they pull through :)

Im not sure where your hives are (mine are in a forest about 20 mins drive from me) but if during winter your near/passing your hives and your wondering how they are getting on, go right up to the side of it and look around the corner at the entrance and give a few knocks, if you put your ear against the hive, you can hear a little buzz and your know then they are alive :D

Advertisement