Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being On Different Stations

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a volunteer with a community radio station. I do a show twice a month and I really want another show (or a longer/extra slot), but at the moment I can't get one on this station.

I'm just wondering, is it unethical to go and volunteer at another station? Is this like backstabbing in the radio world or is it actually okay?

I just want work experience so I can hopefully one day get a paid job in radio (and you get a properly amazing buzz being on the air too! :P )

I'm sorry if this thread already exists. I couldn't find one like it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Caught wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a volunteer with a community radio station. I do a show twice a month and I really want another show (or a longer/extra slot), but at the moment I can't get one on this station.

I'm just wondering, is it unethical to go and volunteer at another station? Is this like backstabbing in the radio world or is it actually okay?

I just want work experience so I can hopefully one day get a paid job in radio (and you get a properly amazing buzz being on the air too! :P )

I'm sorry if this thread already exists. I couldn't find one like it!

you're a volunteer, so I wouldn't worry about it. Ya mite get a few slaggings that's all. Also if they did give out to ya for doin it, id remind them you're a volunteer.

there are presenters even in the real world who double job on different stations. Go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Fran1985 wrote: »
    you're a volunteer, so I wouldn't worry about it. Ya mite get a few slaggings that's all. Also if they did give out to ya for doin it, id remind them you're a volunteer.

there are presenters even in the real world who double job on different stations. Go for it

I would agree. As one who has overlapped on more than one station I can't see that there should be any problem.
    Experience is important so what are you waiting for?
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

I would run it by your station manager first .Just because you're a volunteer does'nt necessarily mean you can be on more than one station check the station's policy or have you signed anything that forbids you being on another station. If all that's ok with your present station you have to consider the same points when volunteering with another station. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

You hardly have a contract as a volunteer do you? If you do, I'd give that a read-over first. If your station manager is sound, you could have a chat with him first, explain that you want more experience, if he's a pirck about it, then you know where you stand, but I couldn't see I being an issue once one doesn't interfere with the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

You could miss out on a great opportunity, unless you have a contract with a major commercial station. Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Some presenters use nicknames for being on multiple stations
    eg. Gary Wilkinson - Real Radio
    Mojo - Galaxy 102, 96.6 TFM
    Nick Jordan - Sun FM, Metro Radio

All the same people!

Others just change their name to sound more youthful and easier to pronounce
    eg. Romeo on the Radio - Z100
    The Bassman (James Bassam) - Capital FM

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your replies! :D

It seems to be okay for me to be on different stations, but I want to do tv presenting too I'm hoping to do some on DCTV. :) I've also emailed Raidio na Life and I'm sourcing out other community stations emails now..

Thanks everyone! :D

Advertisement