Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student grants (adjacent v non adjacent rates)

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My daughter lives in Swords and will be going to NUIM...
    Distance we reckon is about 42km...
    non adjacent rate requires student to be 45km + away....

It's a difference of almost €3600 pa...seems madness she would miss out cos of 3 odd kms...
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Zipppy wrote: »
    Hi
    My daughter lives in Swords and will be going to NUIM...
    Distance we reckon is about 42km...
    non adjacent rate requires student to be 45km + away....

It's a difference of almost €3600 pa...seems madness she would miss out cos of 3 odd kms...
    Thoughts?

Many people are in the same boat, madness yes but doesn change anything I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

move??

on a serious note its crazy those extra 3kms shouldnt make any difference, but then the next person comes along who is 4km out and they will end up bending the rules for everyone,they are there for a reason unfortunatley.

move??

on a serious note its crazy those extra 3kms shouldnt make any difference, but then the next person comes along who is 4km out and they will end up bending the rules for everyone,they are there for a reason unfortunatley.

It's the same principle of someone who's just over the income limit by €50 can miss out on €3000 too... Have to draw the line somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 26 NC12

You should check the distance on AA route planner for distance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 conlcn

Hi, does anyone know if they take public transport into consideration when calculating the grant. because if i use the AA route planner its about 46Km but if its by public transport its over 50 ( Skerries to Tallaght).

• Advertisement

conlcn wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if they take public transport into consideration when calculating the grant. because if i use the AA route planner its about 46Km but if its by public transport its over 50 ( Skerries to Tallaght).

Unfortunately not I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 NC12

conlcn wrote: »

If AA route planner is saying 46 isn't that 1 Km over the set 45 Km for the no adjacent limit. So either way you could be lucky with that 1 Km and be granted the higher amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 conlcn

Thanks lads, Think i'll be getting the award for the stupidest question!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brianclown

What if there are 2 routes? for example one route is 41 km and the other is 49 km, with the 41 km route taking country roads. Considering the purpose of bringing the new rule of a 45km treshold instead of 25km was to highlight the investments in better transport systems so the student could commute easier and say for example the 49km route is a motorway. Would you be entitled to the adjacent or non adjacent rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brianclown

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

brianclown wrote: »
    What if there are 2 routes? for example one route is 41 km and the other is 49 km, with the 41 km route taking country roads. Considering the purpose of bringing the new rule of a 45km treshold instead of 25km was to highlight the investments in better transport systems so the student could commute easier and say for example the 49km route is a motorway. Would you be entitled to the adjacent or non adjacent rate?

In the scenario mentioned I'd say adjacent rate as driving would be shortest route..

Now however if student couldn't drive and had to get public transport (which probably wouldn't go mway..) it could be a different matter altogether ... IMO

Advertisement