Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Manure

Options
  • 29-08-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used chicken manure as an alternative fertiliser on grazing ground for cattle or sheep and are they any disadvantages or health implications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

razor8 wrote: »
    Has anyone used chicken manure as an alternative fertiliser on grazing ground for cattle or sheep and are they any disadvantages or health implications?

i heard of a few horror stories from it , its not worth the hassle as spreading it takes a bit of time , better with 18 6 12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

oh jasus, not on grass anyway, its an incorporate straight away manure to avoid problems and even at that any animal that dies unexplained in the surrounding 5 mile it will be your fault. Still, the local cowboy is able to spread it on grassland and never have a bother even grazing soon after, his neighbors wouldn't say the same. most around here have the opinion that artificial fert is cheaper. Also serious problems now with Nutrient management plans having to be cleared by the local county councils before importing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

oh jasus, not on grass anyway, its an incorporate straight away manure to avoid problems and even at that any animal that dies unexplained in the surrounding 5 mile it will be your fault. Still, the local cowboy is able to spread it on grassland and never have a bother even grazing soon after, his neighbors wouldn't say the same. most around here have the opinion that artificial fert is cheaper. Also serious problems now with Nutrient management plans having to be cleared by the local county councils before importing

you just might be right, just read a few horror stories on BFF!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Spot on. A neighbour has a couple of layers houses and only uses it on land that he's ploughing immeadiately. He reckons it's good stuff though and would use very little bar a small amount of N on any cereal crop where the chick manure was spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

I think the OP is talking about the processed chicken manure pellets, and not just normal chicken manure! The pellets are definitely 100% safe, and have been processed to be so. Apparently what ever harmful substance in the unprocessed chicken manure is removed when its put into the pellets.

Lots of my neighbours putting out the processed chicken manure pellets with years, and getting great returns from it, and never any trouble - provided you know what your doing. With the price of artificial manure now days, the processed chicken manure pellets are the way to go. If you can find a local supplier (sales rep), they will instruct the best usage, as there is a bit to know before getting the most out of it - apparently well worth it tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The problem with this a few years back that the commercial chicken manure contained not only the manure but a fair amount of dead poultry content. Even with processing there were concerns with salmonella from carcasses etc. I know its not recommended for grazing as it has been linked with some other potential animal health issues as well.

See

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/poultry/spreadingofpoultrylitteronland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

gozunda wrote: »
    The problem with this a few years back that the commercial chicken manure contained not only the manure but a fair amount of dead poultry content. Even with processing there were concerns with salmonella from carcasses etc. I know its not recommended for grazing as it has been linked with some other potential animal health issues as well.

See

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/poultry/spreadingofpoultrylitteronland/

I agree that this would be the case for raw chicken manure, but from research I know that the current processing techniques would not give rise to such issues

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

jocotty wrote: »
    I agree that this would be the case for raw chicken manure, but from research I know that the current processing techniques would not give rise to such issues

Do you use PM yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sull576

We dump maybe 3 or 4 tons of chicken dung into our 130-140ft lagoon a hear so to be honest when its soaking in rain water it would mix well with the other muck scrapings off other cattle. Later it will be spread as normal never really had an issue. I see tillage farmers uses it heavily

Advertisement