Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International secondments

Options
  • 29-08-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

So, I've just been looking at company websites and I've noticed that the vast majority of accounting firms like to stress the fact that they are part of an international network of firms and hint at the possibility of employees being able to gain international experience by working another office located abroad.

I wanted to know if international secondments are a regular occurrence? Or is it just a marketing gimmick to attract young graduates by saying "travel the world - become an accountant!" I can't say that I know anyone who's currently working for a Big 4 firm or even a mid-sized practice so I hope someone could shed some light on this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

from what i've read you won't get the chance for a secondment during your training contract as you'd be too busy working and studying for exams. Potentially after when your qualified and are still with the firm

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

To be fair they do actual happen. However, they normally occur after someone's training contract has expired. Generally people go away for three to six months, sometimes nine. If you are of reasonable quality you shouldn't have a problem getting one. Sorry for not having too much info, i'm sure someone on here can offer a lot more than I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Yep they do. If you're selected you would go for three to six months typically the busy season after you pass your faes. So if you do your faes in second year you could go the next October.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

Ah that's good to know that it's a real option. I'd imagine a change of scenery would be a welcome change after slogging it out for 3 years! Thanks for the replies so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

It depends on which Firm you work for but international secondments generally do not happen until you're qualified, and even then they are not that common. I'd say if you were qualified, and good (good in Big 4 = working 55 hour weeks, possibly weekends and being mates with a Partner / Senior Manager!), then it is a possibility that you could get sent to another part of the world to help them with their busy season but do you really want to have 2 busy seasons in one year?

Further, assuming that secondments are only available once you've qualified, and that a lot of people leave once their contract is up (they are generally fed up at that point) - I wouldn't bet on staying around post qualification to be in the position to get secondments in the first place.

If you really really want it, and make this known, and you're good, then it could happen but TBH, the international travel side of things usually happens after you've qualified and left the firm. Perhaps plan on joining a PLC's Internal Audit team - I hear there's plenty of travel to be had in those roles.

Unrelated but important - you generally get the boot now for failing exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Did one when I was in PwC in my first year out of training contract (i.e. 4th year in PwC).

Got sent to the US for Jan - April. Worked minimum 55 hours a week there, and some weeks it was in excess of 80 hours. It's a tough trip, but it's also one of the most enjoyable times working that I've had, primarily down to there being a number of other secondees in the same office to share the weekends with.

To get a secondment in PwC you'll typically need to be in the best 5-10% in your department (but not always), and having a good relationship with a partner will always help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

I work in a Big 4 and we have a number of trainees who are going into second year who get secondments during summer months each year as well as every level from there up to Senior Manager. In fact, to get to Partner, you are actively 'encouraged' to do a 2 year 'cycle of experience' which is usually working within the network (though not exclusively so) , so at present we have 2 Senior Managers in Sydney, and Managers in Dubai, Boston, Toronto, London, Manchester etc.

I am offshore based which may be different to Dublin however.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

I am still in my training contract, had a 3 month stint in the US this year and am due to go back again...

it's like anything, if you don't ask you don't get... Don't be afraid to be vocal about it and state that you want to go from the start.. It's a massive fee earner for firms as there is a high charge out rate for secondees... Which you will be reminded of in America.

The work culture over there is different... I didn't have it too bad as I worked between 50 & 60 hours every 2 weeks... You hear horror stories but that's the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭zenith90

Are such secondments/internal transfers abroad usually on the Audit side of the Big 4? Are they possible in Tax?

I know some firms have international tax desks in various locations but is it common for tax trainees or newly quals to get stints abroad?

Advertisement