Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Phat Softmod

Options
  • 29-08-2012 3:40pm

Picked up a cheap ps2 looking to softmod it. Sorry if rules are being broken by asking this but it's vague enough from the sticky. A request to put freeboot on a memory card for me? or am i better off getting a peripheral so i can do it myself?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Picked up a cheap ps2 looking to softmod it. Sorry if rules are being broken by asking this but it's vague enough from the sticky. A request to put freeboot on a memory card for me? or am i better off getting a peripheral so i can do it myself?

Thanks.

I don't mind requests for retro consoles per se, as nobody advertises that service & requests don't pop up often.

Regards doing it yourself, that depends on you. But someone here should be able to copy a FMB installation onto a memory card for you. Be aware this should be a free service, postal costs notwithstanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EN when did you move to Yemen?

justryan wrote: »
    EN when did you move to Yemen?

Lol, seriously? I take it you didn't watch Friends back in the day? :D

• would this network adaptor suffice?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SONY-SCPH-10350-PLAYSTATION-2-NETWORK-ADAPTER-/230824765454?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item35be3a680e

i presume i need an ide hard drive also? just trying to get me head around a few tutorials on the net, but some of them seem outdated. purpose of the network card?

as far as getting someone to pop it on a memory card for me, im based in athlone but can meet or postage.

would this network adaptor suffice?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SONY-SCPH-10350-PLAYSTATION-2-NETWORK-ADAPTER-/230824765454?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cables_and_Adaptors&hash=item35be3a680e

i presume i need an ide hard drive also? just trying to get me head around a few tutorials on the net, but some of them seem outdated. purpose of the network card?

as far as getting someone to pop it on a memory card for me, im based in athlone but can meet or postage.

Thats the adaptor yeah, it has no real purpose as a network card for what you want it to do, but it does interface an ide bus to the ps2 so you kinda need it to attach a hard drive. IDE is what you need yeah

• Advertisement

• nobody willing to pop this on my memory card for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I could do it for you if you PM me and I'll send you my address to send a SAE.

• tried the disk swap method seen here, using mgs snake eater

no joy, keep getting red screen :/

tried the disk swap method seen here, using mgs snake eater

no joy, keep getting red screen :/

Is MGS one of ther listed games that are compatible? I ended up buying 007 AUF because nothing else worked, once I got that, worked first time.

Ste- said he'd do it fo you anyway

• EnterNow wrote: »
    Is MGS one of ther listed games that are compatible? I ended up buying 007 AUF because nothing else worked, once I got that, worked first time.

Ste- said he'd do it fo you anyway

Its on that list as confirmed on the freeboot website,

anyway i would liek to try it with 007 game but got no copy. ne1 here have a copy? il get it on ebay if not.

otherwise il just send me memory card in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

If you would like to try the Swapmagic method I can give you a loan of the disk.

Collection only or SAE only.

• Got a copy of agent under fire, worked flawlessly first time. NOw to get a hold of a network adpator...

Thanks for al lthe help.

Has anyone used the usb loader that you can get for it??

Got a copy of agent under fire, worked flawlessly first time. NOw to get a hold of a network adpator...

Thanks for al lthe help.

Has anyone used the usb loader that you can get for it??

The PS2 Usb Bus is USB 1.0/1.1 specs from memory...not fast enough for a lot of stuff so you get stuttering etc. The IDE method is superior

The PS2 Usb Bus is USB 1.0/1.1 specs from memory...not fast enough for a lot of stuff so you get stuttering etc. The IDE method is superior
    ok god the ide hard drive and got the network adaptor / which utility do i use to format?

nevermind got hdloader and formatted hd. lovely stuff!!

• sorry about this. how do i put the hdloader.elf onto the memory card so i dont have to use a usb key to manually load the elf with ulaunchelf

sorry about this. how do i put the hdloader.elf onto the memory card so i dont have to use a usb key to manually load the elf with ulaunchelf

Isn't there a file browser that you can use via the memory card, you can copy from usb to memory card via the browser I think

• correct there is, i tried pasting it manually onto memory card one but not sure where exatcly it needs to sit in the directury structure in order for it to be listed on the boot screen

correct there is, i tried pasting it manually onto memory card one but not sure where exatcly it needs to sit in the directury structure in order for it to be listed on the boot screen

Hmm, try this - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/363632

• i managed to transfer hdloader to the hard drive so i can load the .elf file from there so should do the job.

the only real issue i have now is that the main purpose of me getting a hard drive was to reduce the usage of the laser on the dvd. using hdloader o rip games defeats this purpose. i tried transfering with the hdl crossover connection and it took forever to transfer my backups from my pc. presuming that people are just hooking up there hdds manually via ide? seems a bit of an effort

i managed to transfer hdloader to the hard drive so i can load the .elf file from there so should do the job.

the only real issue i have now is that the main purpose of me getting a hard drive was to reduce the usage of the laser on the dvd. using hdloader o rip games defeats this purpose. i tried transfering with the hdl crossover connection and it took forever to transfer my backups from my pc. presuming that people are just hooking up there hdds manually via ide? seems a bit of an effort

Dumping them is only a one off though, its much less wear than constant use gaming. Lan transfer is very slow, direct pc connection is hassle too so hd loader is the neatest solution

• Advertisement

I'm not sure, your PC needs to be able to mount the drive & I'm not sure it can do that through plug n play.

Just dump your games with HD Loader, then again, if you don't own the originals you might have to do things differently ;)

• ripping my originals onto the drive from the ps2 still making my lense work, so was hoping to let my pc drive do it instead. oh well.

anyway thanks for all the help dude

ripping my originals onto the drive from the ps2 still making my lense work, so was hoping to let my pc drive do it instead. oh well.

anyway thanks for all the help dude

I know where your coming from, but working the lens for a few hours ripping games & then leaving it be isn't going to harm it at all. Constant operation, seeking, reading, seeking, reading for months on end is what kills them.

I'm as careful as you re lasers, I hate even using laser based consoles because they will break, its a certainty. But I'd no prob letting my PS2 do a little work in dumping my games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

sorry about this. how do i put the hdloader.elf onto the memory card so i dont have to use a usb key to manually load the elf with ulaunchelf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzcFLYswkDA#

Jump to 3.35 to see the example.

Just remember to mute your pc to avoid the obligatory heavy metal soundtrack which people seem to ad to semi-tech videos. I couldn't concentrate with that playing

• Another issue....:p

OK so I used hdloader to rip my copy of Half-Life (Pal) to the hdd. Used open ps2 loader to boot the backup. v0.8c if I'm correct. Seems to be this constant static sound coming from the right channell when in-game. Should the game load settings be changed or it just incompatible? Can't find anything on the net about this.

Another issue....:p

OK so I used hdloader to rip my copy of Half-Life (Pal) to the hdd. Used open ps2 loader to boot the backup. v0.8c if I'm correct. Seems to be this constant static sound coming from the right channell when in-game. Should the game load settings be changed or it just incompatible? Can't find anything on the net about this.

Did you try run the game from HD Loader itself?

Did you try run the game from HD Loader itself?
    Same through HD loader, must be a compatability issue. Was hoping to complete it again before playing Black mesa source :P

• Advertisement

Same through HD loader, must be a compatability issue. Was hoping to complete it again before playing Black mesa source :P

I know that the dedicated tool that installs the games to hdd via the pc, can patch the image in different ways...might be worth looking into but it could be a compatibility issue too

Advertisement