Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

K98k 'airsoft retrofit'

Options
  • 29-08-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Hello all - some years since I posted in here!

Was in France recently, to help clear out old dusty stuff from our family home ...and what should I find, stashed on top of an old wardrobe in the attic?

An original K98k 'shell' (wood incl. stock and buttplate, original barrel fitted, metal band with the strap retaining clip near the handgrip), which I dated back to 1944 (dot 1944 stamp).

Might have been left behind by the German infantry stationed in our (confiscated at the time) house, or another one of my Grandad's war trophies. For all I know, the original innards might still be stashed somewhere in a hidey hole, but it's a big-a55 house and I don't have a metal detector :D

Now, the airsoft question is - could I 'retrofit' airsoft innards in that, to turn it into a garden plaything? what parts would I need and where from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

as is the airsoft bits wont fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

And to modify what you have would be a crime IMO. It's a piece of history.

If I was you, I would pick up a cheap Dboys or some other repo K98 and use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

swiftblade wrote: »
    And to modify what you have would be a crime IMO. It's a piece of history.

If I was you, I would pick up a cheap Dboys or some other repo K98 and use it.

As the fella above me said it would be a crime even if you could do it.

Have a look at this, highly impractical for a skirmish and meant to be incredibly inaccurate but a nice collectors piece:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/marushin-rifle-kar98k-maxi-walnut.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Thx for the replies.

I'm not bothered about buying and using a 'new' airsoft K98 like the DBoys or Marushin, as I've been out of the hobby awhile now and I'm not 'that' into WWII stuff.

Just thought that, since it is not (in fact very far from being-) complete (...and therefore pretty much worthless to any collector), it would be nice to be able to convert it for some occasional, harmless plinking. Since it has the original (rifled) barrel in war caliber, I couldn't sell it anyway, as I'm pretty sure that makes it fall into a 1st category firearm in France (even in bits) and subject to immediate handing-out to authorities/confiscation/etc, etc.

It might be a 'piece of history', but -objectively- millions were made and tens (if not hundreds-) of thousands remain, complete and in much better nick, in the hands of collectors worldwide. We also have many 'family reasons' (ho-hum) not to be particularly bothered about 'defacing' a piece of Nazi history, as you might guess from the OP. FWIW, since 1945, generations of family dogs have eaten off Berlin-made, swastika-emblazoned porcelain plates left behind at that house :D

I've since uncovered some info online, that a 'standard' mod seems to be based on VSR innards, but I haven't found any detailed guide yet...If anyone has a link, if they wouldn't mind posting it here so I can at least have a look at the difficulty level, extent of 'butchering' required, etc., would be most grateful.

I suppose, a first immediate (and potential dealbreaker-) question is: will a tightbore barrel fit within the original barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

ambro25 wrote: »

I suppose, a first immediate (and potential dealbreaker-) question is: will a tightbore barrel fit within the original barrel?

no the calibre of the rounds for that gun is 7.92mm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement