Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strauss retires from all forms of Cricket

Options
  • 29-08-2012 2:10pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

As widely expected Andrew Strauss stepped down as England Test captain this morning

While I personally think it's the right time for him to move on, I do feel it a shame that he's stepping down from all forms of the game. He's only 35, and I'm sure had a good few years left in him at County level. I presume that like Michael Vaughan before him he'll walk into a broadcasting role.

It looks like the Pietersen furore hastened his decision, but you do wonder why some of these guys just walk away from the playing side altogether. Yes it's nice to leave at the highest level, and may be a bit of a drudge travelling all around the country to play in front of small crowds, but he seems the sort of guy who still had something to offer the game on the field.

Anyway, it makes way for Cook to become the new Test Captain - a role he could potentially hold for many years. It will also be interesting to see whether it changes the Pietersen situation at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Beasty wrote: »
    As widely expected Andrew Strauss stepped down as England Test captain this morning

While I personally think it's the right time for him to move on, I do feel it a shame that he's stepping down from all forms of the game. He's only 35, and I'm sure had a good few years left in him at County level. I presume that like Michael Vaughan before him he'll walk into a broadcasting role.

It looks like the Pietersen furore hastened his decision, but you do wonder why some of these guys just walk away from the playing side altogether. Yes it's nice to leave at the highest level, and may be a bit of a drudge travelling all around the country to play in front of small crowds, but he seems the sort of guy who still had something to offer the game on the field.

Anyway, it makes way for Cook to become the new Test Captain - a role he could potentially hold for many years. It will also be interesting to see whether it changes the Pietersen situation at all.

How many ex England captains can the likes of Sky and the BBC keep employed? A career in politics might be a better choice for him.

Unless Flower decides to resign, I don't think Pietersen will return to the England side in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

A good captain, presiding over a few fantastic years. Hopefully Cook can do a decent job.

Regardless of standings in the world or test results in the future, I would still rather not see Pietersen in an England Shirt again. Probably cutting off my nose to spite my face but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Another one bites the dust....

First it was Dravid....then Laxman....now Straussy.....wonder who's next?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a rule top order batsmen get ground down by being Captain sooner or later but then get a second wind after they relinquish the job. I'm sure Strauss would have got his mojo back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

booth70 wrote: »
    Another one bites the dust....

First it was Dravid....then Laxman....now Straussy.....wonder who's next?! :eek:

Surely Ricky Ponting must be contemplating retiring soon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think the Stauss/Pietersen thing is papering over other issues in the team, like the form of Broad in particular, Anderson too, the rigidity of the batting order, the lack of a replacement for Collingwood, the performance of Bopara..

Big job for Cook..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Surely Ricky Ponting must be contemplating retiring soon?

And looking at the way he has been labouring against New Zealand at home Tendulkar as well I would think!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

dfx- wrote: »
    I think the Stauss/Pietersen thing is papering over other issues in the team, like the form of Broad in particular, Anderson too, the rigidity of the batting order, the lack of a replacement for Collingwood, the performance of Bopara..

Big job for Cook..
    Do you think Morgan may return to the test line up ?

Advertisement