Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next after funeral ?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum.

My mother passed away last week and now i'm left to sort out the paperwork and details.

Does anyone know of a website or where i can find out who i need to contact now and what else i need to do?

I know i need to cancel her pension and talk to the ESB but are there others that i might not know of ?

Cheers .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Yep contact her solicitor re the will. Write to each of her banks, the revenue, pension, apply for the bereavement grant and cancel her utilities if there is no one else in the house, car insurance etc and just keep an eye on the post to see what else comes in. Check her papers to see if she had any life policies etc

Very sorry for your loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Ellsbells wrote: »
    Yep contact her solicitor re the will. Write to each of her banks, the revenue, pension, apply for the bereavement grant and cancel her utilities if there is no one else in the house, car insurance etc and just keep an eye on the post to see what else comes in. Check her papers to see if she had any life policies etc

Very sorry for your loss.

Unfortunatley there was no will but thanks for the additional info.

Ok and is there more than one beneficiary? You might get some advice on that under Legal Issues.

If you have the death cert send copies to the bank now rather than having to do it later.

Ellsbells wrote: »
    Ok and is there more than one beneficiary? You might get some advice on that under Legal Issues.

If you have the death cert send copies to the bank now rather than having to do it later.

4 adults sons, mother died without a will as did my dad. Had only begun to get probate sorted when she died. The bank have agreed to stop any DD/SO's and are happy to wait for a death cert .

as an aside has anyone had problems with relatives calling to take stuff? Caught an auntie in the house yesterday rooting around , so i just bawled her out and ran her

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Very sorry for your loss

Hard to believe there are people calling to take stuff, that's just bad form :( Maybe you could get the locks changed for the moment and let your siblings know?

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »

as an aside has anyone had problems with relatives calling to take stuff? Caught an auntie in the house yesterday rooting around , so i just bawled her out and ran her

I've heard of it. The cheek of her. Get locks changed asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

When you say you caught an Aunt in the house, was this your Mam and Dads house ( Ie their family home) or was it a house that your Aunt has some right to ( Ie your grandmothers/fathers house) that your folks were living in.

If the house is your parents alone, I would not be happy and you were right to run her.
    PLus if there was no will then everything goes into probate, your Aunt has no right to anything unless otherwise written somewhere.
    EDIT Piss poor form by her eitherway a week after your mothers passing

Also contact the likes of UPC/Eircom etc, get those ceased and any money paid in advance credited back. Death certs may be required.

You will need to pass all of your mothers/fathers account details to a solicitor to assist with the probate, and this could take a few months at least to get sorted.
    Also your solicitor will ask you to get the family home valued for the probate, so you may need to get an estate agent around at some point for that.

If you find any cash in the house, its supposed to go into probate too so expect a wait back on that ......I used the word supposed ;)

Oh and sorry for your loss, went through similar circumstances last year.

Family home, was fair pissed off with her tbh. We (the 4 sons) agreed that no one could take anything till we said so, my mother was only buried on Monday. The family solicitor is going to give us a shout in a few weeks and go from there.

Again thanks for your help and kind words

What was her excuse? did she take anything? Doesnt matter if she is family, its still stealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I was in a similar situation before. It was a mess trying to sort the probate out. You should be able to get an interim death certificate sorted very quickly. One tip : stay organised. Open a file folder and record every correspondence you enter into, every statement/letter you receive, will save you a lot of headaches later.

• Advertisement

statss wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation before. It was a mess trying to sort the probate out. You should be able to get an interim death certificate sorted very quickly. One tip : stay organised. Open a file folder and record every correspondence you enter into, every statement/letter you receive, will save you a lot of headaches later.

Cheers for that, we ve just begun trying to sort out the mountain of paperwork and its a nightmare. Waiting on the death cert to get the ball rolling .

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redcortina

I'm very sorry for you loss, My father died last year so I know what you are going through, My mother handle most of the dealings so I can't really say much, But I suggest getting as many death certs as you can, because you need them for everything. Changing names on bank accounts, utilities etc. Yet again, deeply sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I'm very sorry for your loss, we found these useful.
    Practical Advice from RIP.ie
    Citizens Information

Advertisement