Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gormanstown training

Options
  • 29-08-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

I hear that the air core are training in Gormanstown, I was wondering if anyone knows if its live fire or just manovers? I was thinking of going up and having a look if it was live firing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

They are live firing until Friday.

Best bet is to drive on to Gormanston beach, Im not sure how much you will get to see but you will hear plenty.

There will be sentries out to advise / stop you from getting too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

They should be finished today. It was live fire on sea targets. The rockets are impressive to hear and the .5's sound like zeus opening his zipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Took a drive up today! Drove in the back of Gormanstown base. Met up with some of the army that were on the bridge stopping traffic. Very nice blokes, asked if I could watch. Not a problem I was told. It was great because they had the radio on so I could hear all the natter going on eg: "Ok comming in hot" :D Rockets and .5 blasting away!!! Its the last day tomorrow from around 9am on. Well worth a look;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 fougachap

Testing the new sidewinders that have recently become available for the PC-9's. Bulgaria, Switzerland and Australia are currently doing same. May enter service in 4 months if deemed successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

fougachap wrote: »
    Testing the new sidewinders that have recently become available for the PC-9's. Bulgaria, Switzerland and Australia are currently doing same. May enter service in 4 months if deemed successful.

hi Dave, talking bollocks again?

a) AIM-9's have always been available for the PC-9M's.

b) Ireland has neither bought any, nor borrowed any, nor requested a FMS from the US nor requested a proposal from any of AIM-9's manufacturers.

c) Ireland does not have a range facility capable of testing an AIM-9, nor any system capable of being used as a target for such a weapon.

d) no NOTAMS has been issued regarding the use of Guided Air-to-Air weapons, and no exclusion zone of the kind required for the firing of an AIM-9 has been established.

you really, really need to see a Doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

OS119 wrote: »

b) Ireland has neither bought any, nor borrowed any, nor requested a FMS from the US nor requested a proposal from any of AIM-9's manufacturers.

c) Ireland does not have a range facility capable of testing an AIM-9, nor any system capable of being used as a target for such a weapon.

d) no NOTAMS has been issued regarding the use of Guided Air-to-Air weapons, and no exclusion zone of the kind required for the firing of an AIM-9 has been established.

Are they not testing them to prepare for the deployment to Galway lol ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 fougachap

Or, some people just have more info than you?! Dont be offended, not your fault.

Or, some people just have more info than you?! Dont be offended, not your fault.

show us the evidence for the AIM-9 trials at Gormo, and we'll believe you to not be a deeply wierd fantastist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Looks like Daves return was short lived .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Any hard evidence to back this claim up? "Word of mouth" or similar means nothing on a forum.

• Advertisement

RMD wrote: »
    Any hard evidence to back this claim up? "Word of mouth" or similar means nothing on a forum.

he's been banned - again. he is absolutely not back under the guise of fn303dave though, i want to make that absolutely clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

RMD wrote: »

he's been banned - again. he is absolutely not back under the guise of fn303dave though, i want to make that absolutely clear.

Nope. No he's not. The good ol FN has had its firing pin removed.

Advertisement