Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video call from S2 to S3, am I missing an app or why can't I do it?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have an S2 and my OH as an S3 the option to make a video call is there, lovely big green icon yet when he or I use this on our phones it says it can't do it and this is even when we are at home and connected to our wireless.

What am I missing do I need an app like Skype or something?

If so what is the story with cost, I am Vodafone and he is 02, but I have 200 free minutes a month to other networks does this apply to a video call and might it suck up all my data too, bit lost here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

S2 doesn't have a front facing camera.
    swanangel wrote: »
    I have an S2 and my OH as an S3 the option to make a video call is there, lovely big green icon yet when he or I use this on our phones it says it can't do it and this is even when we are at home and connected to our wireless.

What am I missing do I need an app like Skype or something?

If so what is the story with cost, I am Vodafone and he is 02, but I have 200 free minutes a month to other networks does this apply to a video call and might it suck up all my data too, bit lost here?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

elderlemon wrote: »
    S2 doesn't have a front facing camera.

I think you'll find it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DailyBlaa

It does have a front facing camera, I use skype on it all the time. It could be that one or both phones are connected to a wifi network at the time of the call. A video call uses the 3G network and if you are connected to a wifi network at the time of the call the video doesnt work.

Sorry my mistake on the front camera. Was thinking of another phone.

Anyway connected to wifi should not impact it. Video calls (3g ones) are not made over wifi so being connected or not should't make a difference.
    DailyBlaa wrote: »
    It does have a front facing camera, I use skype on it all the time. It could be that one or both phones are connected to a wifi network at the time of the call. A video call uses the 3G network and if you are connected to a wifi network at the time of the call the video doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DailyBlaa

I always had that issue with MMS if I was connected to a wifi network. They refused to send unless I left the wifi network. This may be the issue with video calls. Skype would be a good alternative if the data connection is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

You must be on 3G/H to use the video call function, same as sending An mms etc.
    Why they decided to not let these functions operate via wifi is beyond me.

+1. Make sure both handsets have a good 3g signal and then try it. Should work.
    Ghandee wrote: »
    You must be on 3G/H to use the video call function, same as sending An mms etc.
    Why they decided to not let these functions operate via wifi is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

When you're connected to wifi your phone won't have 3G or H signal, it disables data

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭swanangel

DailyBlaa wrote: »
    I always had that issue with MMS if I was connected to a wifi network. They refused to send unless I left the wifi network. This may be the issue with video calls. Skype would be a good alternative if the data connection is good.

Ah ha, I also have this problem with MMS at least now I know thanks.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

afaik O2 don't support video calls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

wilser wrote: »
    afaik O2 don't support video calls

I think only vodafone do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

wilser is correct. O2 don't support native video calls.

I know that 3Ireland, Vodafone and eMobile support video calls.

I'd recommend you go with Gtalk. The video quality is excellent once you're connected via 3G or wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ive always found that android will automatically enable data if needed for mms and video calls, whether wifi is connected or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

wilser is correct. O2 don't support native video calls.

I know that 3Ireland, Vodafone and eMobile support video calls.

I'd recommend you go with Gtalk. The video quality is excellent once you're connected via 3G or wifi.

Can I get a link from the Play Store for this app ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Jarren wrote: »
    Can I get a link from the Play Store for this app ?
    "talk" is a native android app. you should find it in your applications list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

The (talk) native app is doesn't work on my wifi network but thanks anyway.

Are any good video chat apps out there ?

I have the Skype but I would prefer an alternative to be honest

Advertisement