Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, looking for any info on the basic criteria for rent allowance.Im really bad at understanding all this stuff and really need a bit of help. Any links etc really appreciated :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

If you're finding it hard to understand head down to your local citizens advice- they've been a god send for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Bubblefett wrote: »
    If you're finding it hard to understand head down to your local citizens advice- they've been a god send for me

Have completely different experience myself. Tons of issues not mentioned anywhere (daft.ie forum is a quite good RA guide). 2 examples - you are not allowed to RA if landlord is living the same property (!!), Rent Book is not a proof of rent (not a "receipt of rent paid").
    I presume welfare Officers are doing great job keeping state money and pushing people to save or find a better job rather than rely on welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

you are not allowed to RA if landlord is living the same property (!!),
    That's false

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bryan23

hi aney1 aney info if i am appliying for rent allowence can i get my deposit off the CWO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

bryan23 wrote: »
    hi aney1 aney info if i am appliying for rent allowence can i get my deposit off the CWO

No they dont give you a deposit thats one of there rules when I applied for mine anyway.

(If your that stuck with deposit I know a girl who went too SVP was hard for her to ask but they helped put money towards it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Yes you can apply for a deposit. You have two ways to be eligible.
    Have rented 183 days in the last 12 months or have a letter from the local council stating you have a housing need. If you got a deposit before you won't get a second except in exceptional circumstances.

I find sometimes citizens advice are not up to speed on their information - that's just my experience.

Hope this helps you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

maryk123 wrote: »
    Yes you can apply for a deposit. You have two ways to be eligible.
    . If you got a deposit before you won't get a second eHave rented 183 days in the last 12 months or have a letter from the local council stating you have a housing needxcept in exceptional circumstances.

I find sometimes citizens advice are not up to speed on their information - that's just my experience.

Hope this helps you

I stand corrected must have change again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bryan23

Hi thanks for all your help,
    Just to let people no that you don receve a deposit off the cwo as i have receved one.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Kerry3333

maryk123 wrote: »
    You have two ways to be eligible.
    Have rented 183 days in the last 12 months or have a letter from the local council stating you have a housing need.

Incorrect!

You will not get RA if you have rented 183 days out of the last 12 months. You ALSO have to prove that you could have afforded your rent at the start of your tenancy but there was a change in your circumstances (e.g you lost your job) and can no longer afford your rent.

• Advertisement

The one thing I will never do is post information that I think is incorrect. I don't post saying "I think" If you look up welfare.ie and put in rent allowance and read how do I qualify and you will see it there in black and white. I knew I was right and I have just double checked and it is there.

It is down to the discretion of the welfare officer to prove how you could afford it

Check your facts. I have checked mine

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Kerry3333

What I am saying is you can not qualify from just renting for 183 days out of the last 12 months. As stated on the citizens information website and welfare.ie you have to be able to show you could have afforded your rent at the start of your tenancy and could have continued but can not due to a change in your circumstances. I know this from experience. You will not qualify from renting for 6 months alone. And yes in many cases it is at the discretion of the welfare officer.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/rent_faq.aspx#q4

Totally agree with you but it's all discretion at this stage.

Advertisement