Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month notice period?

Options
  • 29-08-2012 6:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

I am starting a new job and just got a contract yesterday, haven't signed it yet. its a management role with a supermarket chain.
    I'm happy with everything except the notice period, 3 months.
    Is that legal to have such a long period?
    I would like to stay longterm but you never know what might happen and it very difficult to get another job if you could not start for 3 months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

No ideas of the legalities of it but its fairly common in the industry - so common that the next job would probably have the same notice period so would be a bit rich to refuse you the job on that basis alone. If its who I think it might me (one of two similar discount brands with similar enough names) it won't be the last thing that upsets you about the employment practices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

monkey8 wrote: »
    I am starting a new job and just got a contract yesterday, haven't signed it yet. its a management role with a supermarket chain.
    I'm happy with everything except the notice period, 3 months.
    Is that legal to have such a long period?
    I would like to stay longterm but you never know what might happen and it very difficult to get another job if you could not start for 3 months.

In senior positions it's normal and legal to have long notice periods. It has been know in companies when a employee wishes to leave to enforce the notice period, but,put the employee on garden leave, send him home and pay his wage. This is to make it difficult to leave, the benefit to the employee is that you get the same notice.

A very long notice period may cause issue.

Advertisement