Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Have just moved to Canada and need some advice on accommodation in Edmonton!

Options
  • 29-08-2012 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi folks,

I have just relocated to Canada from Dublin and am currently living in Saskatoon, SK. I am relocating to Edmonton AB on Sept 1st (as where I am is only temporary accommodation) and am having an absolute nightmare trying to find somewhere to stay in Edmonton :(

As I'm on my own it's ridiculously expensive trying to stay in hotels and unfortunately the hostels are a bit steep too. I'd be happy just to get somewhere - shared accommodation or otherwise even just for a few weeks or a month initially until I get to know the city and can find something a bit more long term but it's proving super difficult as I don't know anyone and as I'm a solo female have been trying to avoid the bad areas of the city. My budget for a month is max $1000 but as I said it's proving really difficult to get something have been using Kijiji for the last few weeks as I believe that's the best way but I can't really get anything that isn't dodgy or miles outside the city! I don't have a car and I don't mind using public transport but I don't want to go too far outside as I'll be totally lost then!

Any help or advice from anyone whose lived in Edmonton or is currently there would be really really really appreciated! Or better still any expats there looking for a roomie even temporarily :)

Again am pretty desperate at the mo to find something so any info at all would be really helpful. PM me if you would prefer

Thanks a mill,
    Lou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from US/ Canada Travel to Living Abroad, where Canada living and visa questions go until a separate Canada forum is finally created ***

• Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

You've more than likely been keeping an eye out but just in case:
    http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/

or

https://www.padmapper.com/

I'm not over there myself, I'll be heading to Vancouver the end of September though, so I have been keeping a tentative eye on the above websites.
    (Cheers Toni Tuddle for pointing me in the direction of those two!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 loulougoldfish

Cheers Panthro! These look good especially Craigslist, think I might be cutting it a bit fine with Saturday though but thanks a mill again!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

Im in Edmonton at the minute the public transit is really good, people will tell you its bad but coming from Ireland its fantastic.

Kijiji is the best place still if your looking short term, when your looking somewhere to rent midwest are a good company, boardwalk have some nice properties aswell but some awful ones mainly, mainstreet are also mixed. I would look in the west or the city centre, north side and anywhere around 107 ave is pretty dodge and to be avoided. Have you got a job yet? If not better to base yourself near one of the bigger transit stops, the mall in the west, southgate/century park in the south and anywhere really in the city centre.

We stayed with family so didnt need short term accomodation so cant help or advise on that really. Oh there is a british expats group in edmonton on facebook. There was a girl on there whos moving over soon looking a roomie. also try the irish sports and social club on facebook too

• Registered Users Posts: 12 loulougoldfish

That's great thanks appreciate it!

Have just found something for the month anyway. It will do until I figure where's the best place to go, thanks for the info on the good and dodgy areas will defo bear this in mind when I'm looking for something after I get there

Thanks again!
    Lou

• Advertisement
Advertisement