Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I learned...

Options
  • 28-08-2012 9:40pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Watts
    From Charlie Watts' wiki page (Drummer with rolling stones to the uninitiated.)
    an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts' hotel room in the middle of the night asking "Where's my drummer?". Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my ****ing singer!"

I'd love to punch mick jagger in the face. It'd be on my gravestone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Some people are just not cut out to be rock stars...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I'd love to punch mick jagger in the face.
    ...probably absorb your hand,

Did you know....
    Black Sabbath bassist Geezer Butler gave up alcohol after an incident in Rio De Janeiro. Having staggered out of the hotel bar at 4am, Butler took exception to being stared at by one of the hotel guests. When they refused to respond to his questioning, Butler headbutted them. The bassist came round the next morning in agony with his face covered in dried blood. Geezer's victim turned out to have been a marble statue in the hotel foyer.

..was there man! it was a blast, laffed for days I did.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

You've got to love Charlie Watts. Jagger, despite his flaws, will be sorely missed when he's gone, as will the rest of the Stones (I don't even want to think about it:( )

Oh and obviously, Keith will outlive us all, to spend his days talking to the cockroaches after armageddon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Ace Frehley and Gene Simmons. BFF's.
    "In his new book, “No Regrets,” Frehley calls Simmons a “sex addict” who had trouble with women before he became a rock star, while Simmons responded in the New York Post by calling Ace a “drug addict and alcoholic.”

“I believe Gene is a sex addict, in much the same way I am an alcoholic,” Frehley, a Bronx, N.Y., native, wrote in the book. “If you’ve been with only one or two women (and had to beg for whatever you got off them), it must be intoxicating to suddenly have groupies falling all over you.

“You go from getting laid once or twice a year to getting laid a hundred times by a hundred different women. We all have our issues and vices, and I saw Gene’s behavior affect him and the band sometimes in a negative way.”
    Simmons, whose mother, Flora, is a Hungarian Jew who survived the Nazi concentration camps, had his own probems with Frehley during the band’s heyday.

In his autobiography, Simmons wrote that Frehley once got dressed up in a German Nazi SS uniform and knocked on Gene’s hotel room door and yelled at him in a German accent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Jeff Baxter.

Guitarist with Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers.

Later a defense consultant who got into it as a hobby...
    Defense consulting career

Baxter fell into his second profession almost by accident. In the mid-1980s, Baxter's interest in music recording technology led him to wonder about hardware and software that was originally developed for military use, i.e. data-compression algorithms and large-capacity storage devices. As it happened, his next-door neighbor was a retired engineer who had worked on the Sidewinder missile program. This neighbor bought Baxter a subscription to Aviation Week magazine, provoking his interest in additional military-oriented publications and missile defense systems in particular. He became self-taught in this area, and at one point he wrote a five-page paper that proposed converting the ship-based anti-aircraft Aegis missile into a rudimentary missile defense system. He gave the paper to California Republican congressman Dana Rohrabacher, and his career as a defense consultant began.
    Backed by several influential Capitol Hill lawmakers, Baxter received a series of classified security clearances. In 1995, Pennsylvania Republican congressman Curt Weldon, then the chairman of the House Military Research and Development Subcommittee, nominated Baxter to chair the Civilian Advisory Board for Ballistic Missile Defense.
    Baxter's work with that panel led to consulting contracts with the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. He now consults to the U.S. Department of Defense and the U.S. intelligence community, as well as for defense-oriented manufacturers including Science Applications International Corporation ("SAIC"), Northrop Grumman Corp., General Dynamics, and General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. He has been quoted as saying his unconventional approach to thinking about terrorism, tied to his interest in technology, is a major reason he became sought after by the government.

What the actual fcuk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_%22Skunk%22_Baxter

• Advertisement

Don't stop believing is a lie.

There is no South Detroit.

"I ran the phonetics of east, west, and north, but nothing sounded as good or emotionally true to me as South Detroit," he told the reporter. "It’s only been in the last few years that I’ve learned that there is no South Detroit. But it doesn't matter."

From here.
    http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01/11/10114521-stop-believing-perry-admits-theres-no-south-detroit?lite

Well holy balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Watts
    From Charlie Watts' wiki page (Drummer with rolling stones to the uninitiated.)

I'd love to punch mick jagger in the face. It'd be on my gravestone.

You just might need a gravestone if he retaliated, he's old, but he's fit and wiry.

Dr. Bollocko v Mick Jagger
    When and where?
    I'll buy a ticket for that!

This is a good one.

Unlikely to ever be a pub quiz question but still.

Joe Satriani started to learn guitar the day Jimi Hendrix died.

http://www.jimmyness.com/2011/10/joe-satriani-interview.html
    It all began on the day Jimi Hendrix died. A young Joseph Satriani ran up to his football coach during a training session and immediately announced he was quitting to become a guitarist.

Was it the universe's way of replacing one genius with another?

Joe says he can only guess. "In my 14-year-old brain, I felt I was losing something that I couldn't live without. That wasting my time playing sports was something I had to stop, and I had to learn how to play music so I could replace what I was going to be missing. It was a very emotional moment."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Yngwie Malmsteen said something similar:
    Yngwie originally had no interest in music. However, on September 18, 1970, Yngwie saw a TV special on the death of guitar iconoclast Jimi Hendrix. Seven-year-old Yngwie watched with awe as Hendrix blasted the audience with torrents of feedback and sacrificed his guitar in flames. The day Jimi Hendrix died, the guitar-playing Yngwie was born.

http://www.yngwiemalmsteen.com/aboutbio.html

In-A-Gadda-da-Vida by Iron Butterfly. 17 minutes long originally released in 1968.

The rumours went that this song was so long because they were stoned and forgot how it ended.

According to wikipedia however it turns out they were doing a soundcheck in the studio while waiting for their producer to show up.
    The recording that is heard on the album was meant to be a soundcheck for engineer Don Casale while the band waited for the arrival of producer Jim Hilton. However, Casale had rolled a recording tape, and when the rehearsal was completed it was agreed that the performance was of sufficient quality that another take was not needed. Hilton later remixed the recording at Gold Star Studios in Los Angeles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

C'meer till I tell ya.........

Stairway to Heaven intro was 'borrowed' from the song Taurus by the band Spirit who happened to be touring with Led Zepplin and Stairway gets played 84 times a week by America's 67 largest AOR (Album Orientated Rock) radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Stairway to Heaven intro was 'borrowed' from the song Taurus by the band Spirit who happened to be touring with Led Zepplin and Stairway gets played 84 times a week by America's 67 largest AOR (Album Orientated Rock) radio stations.

Today I learned what AOR means.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Wasn't the only song they stole either
    good artist's copy, great artists steal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Don't Stop me now was written by Freddie Mercury about his cruising in Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

allanb49 wrote: »
    Don't Stop me now was written by Freddie Mercury about his cruising in Manhattan.

Brian May reportedly got on to Freddie about it and the possible health ramifications hence Freddie wrote the song.

Tragic bleedin irony that one is :(

Neil Young, the rock star, has been campaigning loudly for music to be released in even higher quality. He wants 24-bit, 192KHz files to be available. It's worth remembering that Young is something of an obsessive: he once wired up his house to be the left speaker and the barn as his right speaker so that he could listen to music from a boat in the middle of his lake.

Legend.

Advertisement