Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cricket Bat

Options
  • 28-08-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Howdy all, some cricket help would be appreciated here :)

My current bat is in the picture I just uploaded.

28082012484.jpg

I'm about to get a new bat but I'm new to cricket.

My current bat feels perfectly fine to me but someone told me's probably to short for me as from toe of the bat to the end of the handle, it's still 4/6 inches short of my hip?.

Where should the bat come up to on you?.

I'm 6ft 2-6ft 3

http://www.activinstinct.com/cricket/bats/adult/kookaburra-kahuna-1000-cricket-bat-2012/

This is the bat I wanted, now is there a difference with Long Handle and Long Blade.

The idea of a longer handle looks strange to me. If anything was possible, it would be great to extend the bat blade over the handle. Or would it be fine to stick with the type of size I have now?.

I'm a beginner to cricket and not sure what bat would best suit my height.

I think medium weight is best for me, I don't want to slog everything but I don't want to be blocking everything. So I was told medium weight is a good mix. As it allows you to hit the ropes, while also allowing nice placement...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

at that height it's normally recommended that you go for a regular blade with a long handle. Have you tried the kookaburra out? I know a few people who have bought them before trying and been unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How do you hold the bat? If you hold the bat near the top of the handle then go for a long handle. However if you hold the bat right at the bottom of the handle then a long handle bat is not going to work for you and you would be better off getting a long blade.

To be honest, if youre not sure then Id strongly recommend going into a shop and try them out. Not a chance Id spend that kind of money on a bat without having picked it up first. Even two bats that are the same brand, size, weight etc can feel different when you pick them up; I had to go through four identical Woodworms when buying my bat before I found the one that felt right!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

djimi wrote: »
    How do you hold the bat? If you hold the bat near the top of the handle then go for a long handle. However if you hold the bat right at the bottom of the handle then a long handle bat is not going to work for you and you would be better off getting a long blade.

To be honest, if youre not sure then Id strongly recommend going into a shop and try them out. Not a chance Id spend that kind of money on a bat without having picked it up first. Even two bats that are the same brand, size, weight etc can feel different when you pick them up; I had to go through four identical Woodworms when buying my bat before I found the one that felt right!

Sorry I meant to also add that I'm going to try ap sports or ed sports and try out the different sizes/weights.

I hold the bat as far down as possible, so I think personally a medium weight long blade would be the way to go. I'll see how I get on in the shops.

Also currently my bat I'm using is about 2lb'9, I see a medium weight bat is 2lb'10/11.

How much of a difference is the extra weight?, the current bat does feel fine to me in the nets. No problem at all, but my coach reckons I could go for the medium weight bat...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you hold your bat right at the bottom then a long handle is no use to you. Unless you are going to adjust your grip accordingly (which depending on how you play might not be possible, ie if you are a wristy type of player) then long blade is the only way to go.

As for the weight, again I would suggest go with what is comfortable for you. Personally I prefer 2oz6 to 2oz9 at the absolute most; there is no point in any coach ever telling me I should use heavier as it just doesnt suit me. Bear in mind as well that different brands of bat can feel heavier/lighter (depending on things like balance), so the actual weight may not be the best indicator as to whether or not it suits you. A poorly balanced 2oz6 can feel heavier than a well balanced 2oz10. Go into a shop, use the weight only as a guide and just pick up a load of bats until you find the one that feels the best in your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Absolutely agree that you need to pick up a load of bats and see how they feel. When I started playing I used a light bat for quite a few years, assuming that it would be best for me as I'm small and slightly built. When I went to get a new one a few years back, I picked up a heavier one just to try it and found it much more comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 iamjor

I'm 6'2'' and use a long blade bat. In my opinion just because a bat is expensive it does not mean it is good or suited to you. A guy at my club recently bought a bat for GB£150 (also a long blade) and while it was a very nice looking piece of wood I tried it out in the nets and didn't like using it at all and much prefer my own bat which cost €60.

I think fairly good advice is to go to a shop with a reasonable selection and see what feels good when you pick it up in your batting stance. If you know any Asian guys they can obtain some very nice bats from their home countries for less than €100. There is a guy at Dundalk CC, whose name I can't remember, who imports cricket equipment from India for sale and he usually has a selection of bats. A quick call to a Dundalk member would get you his phone number.

And for God's sake knock it in for a minimum of 10 hours, even if it says it was knocked in at the factory. I have seen a lot of bats, including expensive bats, destroyed my the owner not bothering to knock it in.

I hope you score many runs with your new bat (so long as you are not playing against my club).

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

iamjor wrote: »
    I'm 6'2'' and use a long blade bat. In my opinion just because a bat is expensive it does not mean it is good or suited to you. A guy at my club recently bought a bat for GB£150 (also a long blade) and while it was a very nice looking piece of wood I tried it out in the nets and didn't like using it at all and much prefer my own bat which cost €60.

I think fairly good advice is to go to a shop with a reasonable selection and see what feels good when you pick it up in your batting stance. If you know any Asian guys they can obtain some very nice bats from their home countries for less than €100. There is a guy at Dundalk CC, whose name I can't remember, who imports cricket equipment from India for sale and he usually has a selection of bats. A quick call to a Dundalk member would get you his phone number.

And for God's sake knock it in for a minimum of 10 hours, even if it says it was knocked in at the factory. I have seen a lot of bats, including expensive bats, destroyed my the owner not bothering to knock it in.

I hope you score many runs with your new bat (so long as you are not playing against my club).

Knowing how I am, I'll probably never use it out of fear I didn't knock it in enough. I'll make sure to it's properly knocked in.

I went down to Clontarf on Saturday but it was closed, will try again after training tonight.

BTW with regards to knocking it in, would any of you have it knocked in with a machine. There is services all over England who do it for you, 10,000 hits your bat will receive so they say.

Just I'll be heading to the UK soon, thought I'd bring it with me if people thought it would be worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

wouldn't have any problems with a machine doing it, personally never feel comfortable doing it myself

Advertisement