Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Multi media player, wrong power plugged in, now smoking!!

Options
  • 28-08-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭

My OH just put the wrong power adapter into the multi media player, only for about 10 seconds, then realised it was the wrong one. But when the cable was removed there was smoke coming from the back of the m.m. player. Now the correct cable when plugged in won't power on the player. Can this be rescued or is the player f***ed with almost 1 tb full of movies, any help or info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

probably dead, you could open it up and remove the hard drive which is more than likely ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

thanks sundodger, he took it into work tonight to the IT guy, they managed to open it and remove hard drive, now needs to get a new casing for it. muppet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

. . . he took it into work . . .

LOL . . . for some reason I automatically assumed OH was female !! Sorry ?

The drive is probably ok or at worst the controller board might need replacing.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »

The drive is probably ok or at worst the controller board might need replacing.

Ken

oh ye of little faith, yes it was my husband that did it :rolleyes:. He is checking today for a new casing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Now now, a wife is politically correct referred to as better half! :D

• Advertisement

Hi Mods, you can close this now, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you divorced him then ? :D

What was the outcome ? Did you manage to get the drive working again ?

Ken

Have you divorced him then ? :D

What was the outcome ? Did you manage to get the drive working again ?

Ken

Hi Zener

no still with him, his birthday is at the end of the month so I bought a new 2t multi media player. We couldn't get a case with the right connections at the back to work with the main telly(HDMI) and the telly in the kids playroom, so got an adapter for their one using the old hard drive and the red yellow and white connectors. Very little has been said about it, can only imagine what would have been said if I or one of the kids did it :eek:

Advertisement