Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get camo spray paint off a gun

Options
  • 28-08-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

someone gave me this glock 19 and they had spray painted the mag with camo spray paint the spray paint didnt get onto the internals but i wanted to know how to get it off without harming the mag too much i heard about a paint stripper in a spray can that you can get in america that works and suggestions. ps . i tried white spirtes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

A scrubbing brush and hard work. Glock frames being plastic means any solvent powerful enough to strip the paint, will also damage the plastic (and by damage, I mean melt, albeit in a less than dramatic fashion). You'd get away with softening the paint with a very sparing use of acetone, but you'd certainly want to be cleaning it off as you go. Paint stripping solvents aren't usually designed for use on plastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

I was given a CA M4 with the most hidious dog puke camo diy paint job, overnight soaking in white spirit and a string toothbrush got it back to the original black paint.
    Just make sure you do this outside and don't hover over the tubs you use otherwise the fumes get to ya.

Hope that helps.

Just wandered in off the main page, so have no knowledge on airsoft at all.

However, I used to collect wrestling figures. Used to post on forums where people would buy figures and update them or make 'custom' figures (figures of wrestlers who hadn't yet had figures released). Never did it myself, but when the guys were doing that, they used to use nail varnish remover (which has acetone in it) to strip the paint off the wrestling figure's boots/trunks/shirts/whatever and then repaint them with the newer designs.

From what I seen, people were able to paint back on the figure easily enough, and the nail varnish remover didn't have any ill effect on the plastic (it was still solid with a smooth finish; didn't cause it to bubble out or melt down or anything).

I don't know if the plastics used in airsoft/wrestling figures would be the same or not (I'd imagine so, though).

Could be worth a try. :)

Advertisement