Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Dubhan

Options
  • 28-08-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me where i might be able to find more information on saint Dubhan. He has a connection with the hook lighthouse in county wexford.
    Other than the fact that he was a welsh monk and lived around the fifth century i cant find anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Can anyone tell me where i might be able to find more information on saint Dubhan. He has a connection with the hook lighthouse in county wexford.
    Other than the fact that he was a welsh monk and lived around the fifth century i cant find anything

Well there is some mention of Dubhán in the "Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, Volume 6" from 1858, here's the link to relevant bit in Google books.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=1699PWzO4O0C&lpg=PA453&ots=UTHNHDhiRC&dq=ordnance%20survey%20of%20wexford%20dubh%C3%A1n&pg=PA453#v=onepage&q&f=false

-án in Irish is a diminutive, the word Dubhán other then been a personal name also has several meanings such as Hook and/or Spider. Here's what's in Dineen's dictionary:
    -ÁIN, {masculine} any small black thing;
    a fishing hook;
    DUBHÁN LASCAIGH, {idem};
    a kidney (in {plural} the kidneys, the himbar region);
    the yolk of an egg;
    DUBHÁN BUIDHE, {idem};
    DUBHÁN CEANN-CHOSATH, self-heal;
    DUBHÁN NA GCAORACH, sheep's scabious;
    DUBHÁN (DAMHÁN) ALLA, a spider, {also, alias} a spider's web;
    NEAD DUBHÁIN (DAMHÁIN) ALLA, {idem};
    THAINIC BHEACH AGUS CHUAIDH SÍ I BHFASTÓDH INS AN DUBHÁN ALLA, a bee came and got fixed in the spider's web (BRSAG.);
    AN DUBHÁN ALLA DO BHEANAIS A CHLUASAIBH CÁICH, you have taken the cobwebs out of the ears of all (by your music) ({Citation:Pádraigín Haicéad}). See under DAMHÁN, DUBHÁNACHT, -A, {feminine}, angling;
    DUBHÁN SEALGAIR EACHT IS MION-FHIADHACH, NA TRÍ GNÓTHA IS NEAMHTHAIRBHIGHE AMUIGH, angling, hunting and fowling, the three least profitable occupations known (saying).

As a first name it seems to have been common enough for example I see the following entry for Ordance survey notes on Derry:
    936. "Dubhthach (the son of Dubhan), coarb of Columbkille and Adamnan, in Ireland and Scotland (that is - at Derry and Raphoe and Iona died." He was nephew of his predecessor, and thirtheenth in descent from Connell Gulban. His festival was celebrated on the 7th of October.

Advertisement