Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY 12/13 OFF-TOPIC thread

Options
  • 28-08-2012 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Well, we're back tomorrow.. might aswell start this sometime!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Yayy!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

I'm in :)

So what does your school do?

I have a musical and Cappanalea (camping etc) and a few other small things.
    Searching for work experience atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

We went in today for 2 hours only - all we were told is our classes really and our timetable for tomorrow.
    I presume we'll be told more in due course.

Although when I signed up for TY I wasn't expecting Accounting and double construction! :mad:

I haven't even began to think about work experience - I know vaguely our work experience is two weeks before Christmas and 2 weeks next May but thats all we know - are we expected to get our own work completely by ourselves? Because I want to try at RTE but its a lottery and I don't know how I'd be able to apply.

Expect my posts in this thread to be full of expletives.

One day in and I'm already feeling that TY is a load of #!*%.

A) They assigned all the c*** teachers to TY classes out of the way of J.C and L.C. Thanks to the strength of unions they can't fire them. The previous principal, who tried to get rid of a really bad teacher, and tried to enforce a proper dress code for teachers, was shot down by the other teachers and went on sick leave for ~2 years. Rumor has it legal action will ensue, if you pardon the pun.

B) I'm bored as hell already. There's just enough work to prevent yourself from falling asleep.

Guess this'll be the year where I teach myself everything... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

One day in and I'm already feeling that TY is a load of #!*%.

A) They assigned all the cr*p teachers to TY classes out of the way of J.C and L.C. Thanks to the strength of unions they can't fire them. The previous principal, who tried to get rid of a really bad teacher, and tried to enforce a proper dress code for teachers, was shot down by the other teachers and went on sick leave for ~2 years. Rumor has it legal action will ensue, if you pardon the pun.

B) I'm bored as hell already. There's just enough work to prevent yourself from falling asleep.

Oh Hai, this thread isn't going to be full of expletives because if it is, you'll be banned. Don't mean to be such a downer, but it's just not on.

Anyway, if you're finding it boring already, start pursuing something you dont already do, learn to program, read a lot (You will literally never run out of books to be read).

To everyone here: TY is what you make of it, dont expect much from the school, some schools have awful TY programs, some have fantastic ones. If your school has a bad one, you're going to have to make sure you dont have a bad year.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Oh Hai, this thread isn't going to be full of expletives because if it is, you'll be banned. Don't mean to be such a downer, but it's just not on.

I apologise if I was too subtle. This was meant to be a sarcastic and unhappy way of saying that I was dissatisfied with how TY was being run in my school. Upon mature reflection, I should perhaps have added "/frustrated" to the end of that sentence, symbolising my unhappiness but also showing that I would not really be posting expletives in this thread.
    Anyway, if you're finding it boring already, start pursuing something you dont already do, learn to program, read a lot (You will literally never run out of books to be read).

I thought I implied in my closing sentence there that although I was unhappy with the school's end of things, I could make TY what I wanted it to be. "teach myself everything". That's what I meant that I would do. But I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. In my opinion there's only so much you are able to do when a teacher requires you to do pointless work which they are well aware is intended only to occupy rather than to engage.

I'm sure I'll get a lot out of TY with regard to things I teach myself using extra time and on work experience etc, but when you're tied up for ~7 hours a day with about 40 minutes on average being beneficial, I despair a little. And, being an OT thread, I used it to vent a little.

Shall I take up debating? :D

oooh nice reply there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Well nice first day, ipads, "training" (a boring 4 classes if you knew iOS), photo's, random chats, oh and bell music.

Shall I take up debating? :D

Sadly sarcasm doesn't transmit so well over the internet.

Go take up debating, also take up not being a smartarse with mods? I'm only here to stop stuff being derailed... End of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Just a question, is transition year supposed to be all classes, like I mean we are doing all subjects possible and have to buy books etc.. even though we forked out 600 quid just to get in.

Not much trips, maybe one or two and then mostly guest speakers coming in, outdoor activities maybe down to the beach on a Monday. Other then that it's just work work work.

Not fair, wondering if I made the wrong choice, just wondering what the hell they are doing with our 600 quid each?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Slicence

Don't mean to be a downer, but already I find TY very boring. I generally despise going back to school after the holidays, but in this case, I thought I'd be happy starting again, but not really, it just seems very drawn out and long. But alas, it is only the first day after all, and it will probably get better.

Anyways, I have a question: I'm lucky enough to have a job already after school, but I was wondering if you think it's a smart idea that I get another job during the day (basically instead of school for about 2-3 of the 5 days of the week). I just find TY a bit boring and have started thinking that I might as well be using these hours to make some money and perhaps take a financial burden off my parents a bit.

My school already gave us the talk of, "If you miss more than 20 days The Board of Management would be contacted blah blah blah..." But I think that's just a talk to scare us off a bit from my mindset.

Who knows, I may be extremely arrogant here, but any feedback is welcome. Sorry for the long thread-like reply.
    P.S. I know this is an OT Thread, but I don't want to go to the bother of making a new thread. :3

Slicence wrote: »
    Who knows, I may be extremely arrogant here, but any feedback is welcome. Sorry for the long thread-like reply.
    P.S. I know this is an OT Thread, but I don't want to go to the bother of making a new thread. :3

It's not arrogant, but you probably wont be allowed do it.

Ask your principal whether you'd even be allowed do it, in all likelyhood, there'll be a myriad of reasons why you cant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Slicence

It's not arrogant, but you probably wont be allowed do it.

Ask your principal whether you'd even be allowed do it, in all likelyhood, there'll be a myriad of reasons why you cant :(

My principle is fairly incompetent unfortunately. Shame really. :(

My principle is fairly incompetent unfortunately. Shame really. :(

Tbh, their just doing their job. There'd be problems with insurance and if the department of education ever found out there'd likely be a problem!

I'm really looking for a job, and have experience working in a pub (albeit my aunt's) and at a summer camp. Everywhere I apply I get no responses, any advice?

Don't mean to be a downer, but already I find TY very boring. I generally despise going back to school after the holidays, but in this case, I thought I'd be happy starting again, but not really, it just seems very drawn out and long. But alas, it is only the first day after all, and it will probably get better.

Anyways, I have a question: I'm lucky enough to have a job already after school, but I was wondering if you think it's a smart idea that I get another job during the day (basically instead of school for about 2-3 of the 5 days of the week).

I can't independently verify this, :P, but a guy in our school a few years back didn't come in for the entire TY year. Apparently he was working for a game development house.

Anyways, is your w.e. one day a week or block weeks? If it was one day a week they might allow you to work that day?

I feel your pain bro, it's feeling like third year without the homework... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Hi everyone, tbh transition year will be very boring if you keep a bad attitude of it, think of it as an oppertunity to discover more about yourself, have to chance to put more things on you cv that people who went straight to 5th year cant and to help other people in your community.

I had my first day yesterday, and we did absolutly nothing, we were told what we will be doing for the next couple of months which is cleaning the library, making a band, doing community work etc. The only beneficial thing is work experience and ECDL.

So just try and get out there and do stuff, its only the beginning of the year so just keep going and make the most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

Well for the 3rd year in a row I've ended up in a shite class, I honestly think the school just purposely keeps me away from my mates That said I'll make the best of a bad situation and try and enjoy the year.

Off topic guys, there's so much complaing about TY! What music are y'all into? For me the now's are kinda useless now that I have 3g but building a playlist is harrrddd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

Well I like rock, grunge, metal mostly.
    Not as much metal as rock or grunge though (Even though they could be counted as the same thing by some)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Can the gym be part of the gáisce????

Well I like rock, grunge, metal mostly.
    Not as much metal as rock or grunge though (Even though they could be counted as the same thing by some)

Apt username :rolleyes: ;) Either way, probably not what I'd look for, but yeah, a lot seemto like it :P NEver got the whole screamo thing though? Especially when people say that pop music "isn't music" yet screamo is :confused:

Leinsterr wrote: »
    Can the gym be part of the gáisce????

Nope, not really. Like at a stretch, but it isn't really a new skill.. well maybe. We're doing self defence, kayaking, first aid etc

I'm finally back tomorrow, let's see how our year will be :D

Right, if you're gonna be using this forum, you're not going to be misusing genres!

Screamo doesn't describe everything with a bit of shouting in it, it's a subset of emo. Emo is a sort of subset of post-hardcore, which oddly came from hardcore.

Example of a great song that happens to fall into the screamo label:

etc, etc.

Here's a great song, it's irrelevant but great.

Advertisement