Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifering Works well with AA and NA

Options
  • 28-08-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I have been off drink and drugs for a while now and go to AA meetings and NA meetings.I Also go to small Group called lifering in Cork.Its a idea that came over from the USA.The Meetings in Dublin are very popular and its begining to spread accross the Country.It works a bit different than AA and Na which suits some people better.I myself find it works very well For me but I dont look at it as competition with AA are Na, just a nice change.I Go to three meetings a week.One AA,One NA and lifering.
    What is LifeRing? The LifeRing approach to addiction management is a new departure in self-help recovery. Thoroughly grounded in proven therapeutic approaches such as CBT and Reality Therapy, among others, LifeRing has also evolved out of the experiences of former addicts themselves. At the heart of LifeRing is the addicted person. We take charge of our own recovery in a mutually supportive and positive way. We accept that recovery is a matter of personal choice and responsibility. The group meeting is our main focus where we come together to share our experiences, to support and learn from each other on our individual journeys.

The cornerstones of LifeRing are the 'three Ss': Sobriety (meaning abstinence), Secularity (meaning religion is not involved) and Self-help.
    I'm not in involved in either the set up are running of this group.I just writing this as someone who finds lifering very helpful for newcomers are people who are Clean.I dont think im aloud to post links but just google Lifering.If anyone has any questions feel free to ring me on 085 8291012 are if you wish to email me text me your email address (my own email address has my name in it and i dont wish to post my name here i hope you understand.)
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Good links and well done Shogun1

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brian lamontage

are any meetings in limerick?
    im looking for non religion group

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shogun1

are any meetings in limerick?
    im looking for non religion group
    I don't think there any meetings in limerick yet.But Brian you have to weigh up how much you want to stay off the drink versus the religion side of AA.i dislike the religion side of Aa but still go I just leave the bit about the higher power out of the meetings and take the rest.who am I to knock it a lot of people at the meetings take a lot out of religion.But as your just starting out give it a try.Also because of your earlier posts I'm guessing your around 26 maybe try going to NA ok you don't have a drug problem but I know loads of people who go because of drink.they go because it's a younger crowd and they feel like they fit in better .drugs/drink the same thing at the end of the day both problems. Like loads of people I have tried to give up drink on my own but very very few can.best of luck I maybe in limerick this weekend if you want to met for a coffee but no pressure.anyway best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

When you go to AA do you have to stand up in front of everyone and say your an alcoholic etc like on tv?:o
    Is AA any good for an atheist?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shogun1

ronan45 wrote: »
    When you go to AA do you have to stand up in front of everyone and say your an alcoholic etc like on tv?:o
    Is AA any good for an atheist?
    Good question ronan I'm sure the thought of what people see on tv puts people off.a lot of new people who go will just sit and listen there is no pressure to talk. And if by chance your asked and don't feel like taking just say I'll listen tonight thanks.Also if you do talk you don't have to open with hi I'm so and so I'm a alcoholic you could open with hi I'm so so and I having a problem with drink.dont be embrassed about going everyone there is there for the same reason also no two meetings are the same if you don't like one don't give try another one.as for been a atheist that's not a problem as such AA is not ment to use god but a higher power.i don't use any and still go.The most important thing is it helps people stay off drink so as I said in a post before go and just leave the god thing at the door when you leave.are hey your higher power could be someone who has died maybe a grandmother etc.anyway hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement