Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[GEAR] pool lap counters

Options
  • 28-08-2012 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

When I'm in my 25m pool and doing a distance swim, I tend to count 4 sets of 10 lengths, note the kilometer, and start again. Obviously this isn't perfect, and miscounts can occur after a couple of km. I was looking at the Garmin Swim which gets good reviews, but there are manual lap counters for about a tenner. On the other hand, the 910xt seems to have teething problems, but would be useful for OW swimming too. (or I could just stick my 305 in a bag and in the hat, trick)

What lap count aids people use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    When I'm in my 25m pool and doing a distance swim, I tend to count 4 sets of 10 lengths, note the kilometer, and start again. Obviously this isn't perfect, and miscounts can occur after a couple of km. I was looking at the Garmin Swim which gets good reviews, but there are manual lap counters for about a tenner. On the other hand, the 910xt seems to have teething problems, but would be useful for OW swimming too. (or I could just stick my 305 in a bag and in the hat, trick)

What lap count aids people use?

Emmmmm do more interesting sets that don't involve just swimming km after km?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

tunney wrote: »
    Emmmmm do more interesting sets that don't involve just swimming km after km?

It's not any problem to count for shorter drill sets, but doing distance swimming in a pool is the problem. Didn't think there's any issue with doing long steady swims as part of swim training- unless you can tell me different?

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on lap counters?

It's not any problem to count for shorter drill sets, but doing distance swimming in a pool is the problem. Didn't think there's any issue with doing long steady swims as part of swim training- unless you can tell me different?

Its not ideal. unless you are a decent enough swimmer (< 26 1500m) I'd still to less than 400m per rep. Otherwise you are just reinforcing bad habits by swimming fatigued.

Its not ideal. unless you are a decent enough swimmer (< 26 1500m) I'd still to less than 400m per rep. Otherwise you are just reinforcing bad habits by swimming fatigued.

I'd be about <26 for 1500m (did 2000m in 32:xx recently). Any performance gains I've made swimming this year have been through distance- and while I'm sure that further gains will come from working on shorter distance form, a large part of my swimming is 2k+, and that's where miscounting starts to creep in.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I bought a lap counter here http://www.sportcount.com/products.php?category_id=1 a few years back and fine it very good. I already have a Garmin 405 thats not waterproof, and a timex triathlon watch, so couldn't justify buying a 3rd watch. I have the basic lap counter that just counts the laps without timing. It does exactly what it ways on the tin.

I am new to swimming and need all my concentration to focus on stroke/technique, so can never count the lengths as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Both posters can improve if they learn from the other poster rather forcing their own view with out looking at what the other person does well ;-)
    but yes more than 1 k reps on a reg basis not really to be recommended but there is nothing wrong with a 4- 5 x 1 k swim set if you want to built endurance or swim well in an Ironman , in fact it would be a very wise thing to do. at some stage you have to get used to swim 3.8k with whatever technique you have. and there is many ways to play around with long sets to hold technique toghether.

peter kern wrote: »
    Both posters can improve if they learn from the other poster rather forcing their own view with out looking at what the other person does well ;-)
    but yes more than 1 k reps on a reg basis not really to be recommended but there is nothing wrong with a 4- 5 x 1 k swim set if you want to built endurance or swim well in an Ironman , in fact it would be a very wise thing to do. at some stage you have to get used to swim 3.8k with whatever technique you have. and there is many ways to play around with long sets to hold technique toghether.

If I came across as snippy, sorry. A sore back is annoying me all week, and I've been doing group theory exams, so am more anal than usual:)

I'm certainly open to suggestion if I'm doing something wrong- but I've only noticed time improvements though swimming long, and steady. My pool TT for 3.8km has come down to 65mins, from about 80. I need to concentrate harder on form after about 2km, or performance suffers. Hence the need for a lap counter. Pushing for better form on tired arms has helped me be strong in the second half of any swim race I've been in (not many). Long steady swims have been working for me so far.

But I'd certainly love to get advice if there's ways I can improve times by shorter work, I'm all ears!

But I'd certainly love to get advice if there's ways I can improve times by shorter work, I'm all ears!

I never said shorter work, I said shorter reps.

I prefer, say, 10x400m with 20sec rest, rather than 2x2km with longer rests. For a multiude of reasons. Easier to enforce a pace at 400s, less boring, easier to count.

Ok, work being joules... should have said reps. ;)
    I never said shorter work, I said shorter reps.

I prefer, say, 10x400m with 20sec rest, rather than 2x2km with longer rests. For a multiude of reasons. Easier to enforce a pace at 400s, less boring, easier to count.

Any idea what sort of pace these should be done at (given times I've posted already)?

Advertisement