Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No wonder there are so many people unemployed?!

Options
  • 28-08-2012 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

This isn't really a question, or even really a discussion topic, I just feel like I have to share my situation as I find it all so ridiculous, quite a long back story I apologise!

So I was on Jobseekers Allowance for a year up until last October when I got a place on a Fás course, during the 9 months that the course ran for, my circumstances changed, this meant that at the end of my course, I would have to be re-assessed by the Social Welfare before re-commencing my Jobseekers Allowance. I finished my course on June 29th and to this day my claim still hasn't been processed, I have been struggling with money but that's not what this post is about. Shortly after finishing my course I was offered a JobBridge internship due to start 2 weeks after the interview, on the 13th of July, I was given a form that the Social Welfare need to fill in so that I could start my internship, I went in and was told that they couldn't fill in my form as my claim was still being processed but they would try to speed it up. 3 weeks later and I still haven't been able to start my internship, I have been in to and phoned the social welfare pretty much everyday and I get the same answers all of the time.

It's at the stage now where I'm worried that I may not be able to take this internship after all as there are 8 interns and everyone else started 3 weeks ago. I'm totally frustrated and I can't help but wonder why there is such surprise that there are so many people unemployed, I understand that there are a lot of people signing on all of the time and people that just aren't arsed looking for work of any kind, but what about those of us who are arsed? I would have though that they would be only too glad to get people onto internships and out to work!

Comments

I would have though that they would be only too glad to get people onto internships and out to work!

Ah-hah-hah-hah-hah.

You'd think, wouldn't you?

Take me. I wanted to go to college. I signed up to a suitable course, I passed the interview and got on it. My local authority approved my mature student grant. I was in college for a week when I found out I wasn't entitled to Back to Education allowance because I was three days short of the requirement of being signed on. Had the college course started on the Monday after as opposed to the Tuesday before, I would have been fine. But it wasn't to be. I got on to my TD's and I got a letter from the Minister of Education (Mary Coughlan) saying there was nothing to be done about it. Before that I spoke to the woman in charge of the BTEA scheme in Limerick, and her advice was to sign on for another year and don't take a full time job if I want the BTEA. How ridiculous is that? Drain off te system for another year instead of bettering myself going to college?

I am just about to finish a FAS course (LTI - Local training initiative) and have found a CE scheme I really want to get on to as I really want to get into community work and get some experience. The catch this time? Even though I am more or less finished my LTI (I'm on work experience now) I can't leave the LTI early. And after my LTI finishes, I have to sign on for a week before attempting to get on the CE scheme.

So to sum up. The CE scheme could use me now, but I am in receipt of a payment til mid Sept so can't start the CE scheme til after this payment finishes, and I sign on for a minimum of a week

Yeah, the system works :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement