Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone had success with blogs?

Options
  • 27-08-2012 9:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

well......you know

buy a domain name and hosting, get writing, be interesting and topical and update frequently, market your blog, build up a following, get feedback, market some more, advertise, earn a bit of cash

sounds relatively straightforward

why aren't you lazy sods doing it then???;)

is it the lack of marketing know-how that's letting you down or is it more a case of "been there, done that" and 'twasn't really worth it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It seems to me that the trouble of writing and promoting a blog that people will actually read is more that it's worth it and doesn't generate an income. The same effort put into writing a book will result in a book that people will pay money to read.

When it comes to using blogs to promote your book, I think it's more productive to get people who have a significant following to blog about you, rather than doing your own blogging.

I have to admit, there are a few people whose blog I will not read, since it's a constant litany of "I've written a book, it's awesome, read it."

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

I've not had much success with my own blog, but I have been building up a steady reader base on a blogging service I developed over the last year. I write occasional blogs, and a few of my friends write theirs on the site. We don't make any profit (or....infact we don't make any money...adsense is shít) so it's a community thing.

I think to make a successful blog you need to not focus on making money but on just enjoying writing relevant content. Kind of like making music. If you are in it for the money people recognize that.

We welcome other people to the site, most readers check out more than one blog at a time so it helps everyone!

(MOD, is it cool to stick up a link here?)

in the mean time, pm me if you want details, or find the link in my signature.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

aido179 wrote: »
    (MOD, is it cool to stick up a link here?)

Please use this thread for blog links.

Advertisement