Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge problem

Options
  • 27-08-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi ya

I have a bit of a problem. Our fridge is freezing inside. It's freezing from the back wall and we have tried everything to stop it. There is a huge wall of ice building up. Does anybody know what's wrong or if it can be stopped or fixed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Is it freezing the whole back or just a particular area ie in just 1 corner ??

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

yea. there are four shelves in the fridge the top and bottom ones are ok but the middle ones have this massive wall of ice biulding up. we went on holidays and the ketchup etc are totally submerged in ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

iron man wrote: »
    yea. there are four shelves in the fridge the top and bottom ones are ok but the middle ones have this massive wall of ice biulding up. we went on holidays and the ketchup etc are totally submerged in ice.

I have that too and its only a new fridge. Is it like a ball of ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

I have that too! the top shelf is very slowly being consumed. The fridge sounds like Darth Vader is living inside it all the time too which is REALLY annoying!!! If anyone knew what that is too would be great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

What brand/model is it?

Google the make and model of your fridge(s) and see if there have been any complaints of similar overcooling.

Or simply turn it down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

What brand/model is it?

Google the make and model of your fridge(s) and see if there have been any complaints of similar overcooling.

Or simply turn it down a bit.

turning it down wont make ant difference as its a system fault by the sounds of it

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭skytop

ellewood wrote: »
    turning it down wont make ant difference as its a system fault by the sounds of it

Yep it sounds very like a gas blockage,
    You can confirm this by pulling out the fridge .
    At the bottom of the fridge at the back you will see what looks like a small black cylinder, this is the compressor if this is very hot you have a gas blockage, the compressor pumpst the gas around the system and only stops when a complete cycle has occurred .

If you have a gas blockage I'd recommend a new fridge, a gas blockage can be repaired but has a big chance of reoccurring .

P.s had you a power cut before this problem first started, this can often cause this problem

I have over 10 years experience in this field and hope I helped

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

Well I have the hot point man booked to come out. 200€ and he will fix it. If it happens again then they will fix it and if it happens again then they will get a new one. Problem is that all of this has to occur within one year of origional fix

What do you think. It's not too late to cancel him. And buy a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭skytop

iron man wrote: »
    Well I have the hot point man booked to come out. 200€ and he will fix it. If it happens again then they will fix it and if it happens again then they will get a new one. Problem is that all of this has to occur within one year of origional fix

What do you think. It's not too late to cancel him. And buy a new one

The problem with a gas blockage is it could go in a week or last months, or on a rare occasion last longer!

Did you confirm it was a gas blockage?

If it is you need to weight up the cost of a new fridge against the 200€ and the risk

If the compressor is not hot I'd get them out to fix.,!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

The only problem you should have with your fridge is the one when you dont have BEER in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

or if you come home with warm beer from the supermarket and have to wait on the fridge to cool it (because you ran out of beer in the first place).

Sorry OP, I wouldn't spend €200 on repairing a fridge, when things go wrong sometimes what you have been told doesn't turn out to be as good as you've been led to believe, (always small print involved). The thermostat could give up next week and that will cost you another €100 between parts and labour.

If you buy a new fridge you will automatically get a 12 month warranty on all aspects of your fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emercaughfield

If the Fridge is within a guarantee period then just call the service center..They will send their repairing agent..Otherwise check that there is the issue of defrost or not..

Advertisement