Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Value Wine Purchased In France

Options
  • 27-08-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi all we are taking a family driving holiday in france next week. I see this as a good opportunity to get a few cases of cheap but nice red wine. Does anyone know of a suitable good value red wine to pop in the boot on the way home. I don't mind to much about which type of wine
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You can pick up decent Bordeaux in Cora, Leclerc or Carrefour supermarkets for very reasonable prices. I'd suggest you buy a bottle or two to try locally and then bring the ones back you like the most on the last day.

You can of course be adventurous as well and go to a local Cave. Whereabouts in France are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

we are going to Brittany. that was my plan to try a few bottles as we travel, the last time i was in france, around 10 years ago i never paid more then 4 euro for a bottle of wine and i was never disappointed. i imagine prices might have increased since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i use this crowd http://www.winebeersupermarket.com/ they are very near to roscoff boat.. they are very helpful if you pop in or mail and they will get a box ready for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Google a few local vineyards and try them. Supermarkets are very "hit & miss" at any price range. A bit of research and common sense and you'll do alright.

let the wine settle for a week or so once you're home - wine does not like to travel!
    Given the high temperatures in cars don't be too surprised if some of the wine is undrinkable once home. Accept some spoilage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

If you are in France for 2 weeks you will be there for the autumn wine fair (starts in eg Carrefour c. 12th Sept) - this is when most of the wine that french supermarkets sell gets sold! Its a great time to buy, great deals available. If you know what you like you will get great bargains, but if you do not there is also a lot of rubbish! You can try different bottles while you are there, and go back for a few cartons of any ones you like. Google 'foire aux vins 2012' for info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Melendez wrote: »

It could be that they weren't stored correctly. Wrong temp or maybe not on their sides so that the corks dried out - obviously the older the wine the more such bad storage would affect them.

Advertisement