Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Buildings in Ireland

Options
  • 27-08-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All ....just wondering if anyone can help me

My friend and I where having a talking about army barracks yesterday anyway we disagreed about wheter Mckee barracks was built with the plans of a building which was meant to be built in India.

I was informed many years ago that this mistake did happen but it was the old Richmond hospital in Brunswicks st ( inner Dublin )

I would really like to find out if this mistake did happen and to which building

Any thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I have also heard that story about McKee Barracks. I have heard its a load of bull, and Iv heard that it is legit!

I hope someone here can shed some light on the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Urban Myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

There was an architectural trend in the victorian period to incorporate Indian style features into buildings in Britain and Ireland.

Because of this the story about the plans being accidently swapped is fairly common. St. Senan's Hospital in Co. Wexford is one off the top of my head, though I have heard it a good few times.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WX&regno=15604052

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dave Goulding

Cheers

Came across that on my research ....what a building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

I heard similar about heuston station but again could be bull

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kite Runner

McKee Barracks,was originally designed as a Cavalry Barrack, part financed by the Duke of Marlborough. The distinctive features were to do with the Cavalry designation rather than any mislaid plans. This was part of a the lecture we all received as recruits to dispel the urban myths upon reporting for training with 2FAR many moons ago.

http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/dublin-buildings/mckee-barracks

Advertisement