Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need Legal Advice.

Options
  • 27-08-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I bought a Blond Hair Colour in Tesco a week ago.
    This morning I put the colour in. When I looked in the mirrior I was Shocked to see my hair was dark brown.
    Someone had switched the colour in the box with a different colour.
    I contacted the store and they asked me to go to my Hairdresser and have it fixed.
    I went to Peter Marks. They adevised me to wait two weeks or until there is re-growth as the process of stripping the hair colour is very harsh.
    I now have to live with this colour for the next two weeks. I have always been blond.
    I called into Tesco to let them see the damage. The Duty Manager apologised and informed me they would cover all the costs.
    My question is!: should Tesco compensate me for the ordeal I have been through and the fact that I have to wait two weeks before anything can be done, plus the damage the treatment will do to my hair????
    Please help!!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

you cannot get advice here

Did you not see the colour when looking at the directions on the bottle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

OMG the scope for blondes and cant read jokes is boundless!

If you think they have been negligent then contact a solicitor and pursue it. Your remedy under consumer law seems to have been more than fulfilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Your ordeal? Are you for real?

MagicSean wrote: »

She may have been under the impression no one knew she wasn't a real blonde. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Had the box been opened or was it sealed?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

You could maybe get a wig. Or possibly a sense of perspective.

By the way can you say that the shop didn't take all reasonable efforts to ensure that bottles weren't switched in their stock? Does the manufacturer seal the boxes sufficiently? Is there a responsibility on you to check the bottle before you use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

MagicSean wrote: »

Exactly, i weep for the future and the present :(

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cathorio

:(
    Had the box been opened or was it sealed?

Thank you for you kind reply.
    Yes the box was opened but that is how they are sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Here's your advice.

1. Get a nice new haircut and colour by Andrew Dunne at Mane - Shay Dempsey's salon above the Grooming Rooms on South William St. Let Tesco pay for Shay and Andrew - the best hairdressing team in the country.

2. Stop using supermarket dyes in future.

3. Get over your sense of entitlement over your "ordeal" and stop reading tabloid/womens magazine tripe.

No charge for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Get on to Joe Duffy.

...or Reese Witherspoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Ah c'mon lads, less of the condescension, eh?

If someone had switched the aftershave you thought you were buying for bleach, or switched the grade of your motor oil, you'd be up in arms.

But because it's blonde hair dye...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

If someone had switched the aftershave you thought you were buying for bleach, or switched the grade of your motor oil, you'd be up in arms.

In the aftershave or motors forum, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Ah.... Switching aftershave for bleach is way more serious than changing blonde hair dye for brown.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

cathorio wrote: »
    This morning I put the colour in. When I looked in the mirrior I was Shocked to see my hair was dark brown.
    I contacted the store and they asked me to go to my Hairdresser and have it fixed.
    I went to Peter Marks. They adevised me to wait two weeks or until there is re-growth as the process of stripping the hair colour is very harsh.
    I now have to live with this colour for the next two weeks. I have always been blond.
    I called into Tesco to let them see the damage. The Duty Manager apologised and informed me they would cover all the costs.
    My question is!: should Tesco compensate me for the ordeal I have been through and the fact that I have to wait two weeks before anything can be done, plus the damage the treatment will do to my hair????
    Please help!!!!

Get some real problems, seriously. This subforum is somewhere for people with real problems, like people who've been assaulted or otherwise seriously harmed, or had things stolen, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭blueythebear

cathorio wrote: »
    Please help!!!!

Tesco have treated you well in this regard. Accept their generous offer and move on. These things happen from time to time. You have not suffered any injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

25673219.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

At the end of the day I'm sure you'll survive this there's a lot more to be worried about in life than your hair.

Possibly consider the thought that if you keep dying your hair one day you may have none to worry about.

1st world problems eh!!! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Given how hard up solicitors are for business these days, and the fact they'll chance almost anything for a bit of money, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesco receives a letter along the lines of "the shock when my client realised", "the emotional turmoil she has had to endure for weeks", "the stress and loss of sleep", etc.

Andy!! wrote: »
    Get some real problems, seriously. This subforum is somewhere for people with real problems, like people who've been assaulted or otherwise seriously harmed, or had things stolen, etc.

Actually its for people with hypothetical problems - a distinction often missed by many posters :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

You can try to talk to a solicitor about compensation, but I suspect you'd be laughed out of their office.

At the end of the day, there is no 'damage' done. In fact, brown dyes are generally a lot less harsh on hair than blonde, as blonde contains so much peroxide. So there was probably less damage done than if you had dyed it blonde. All dye treatments cause some damage, so no compo on that score.

As for the 'ordeal' - it's two weeks of brown hair. It's not a massive inconvenience. I got a blue dye that turned my hair purple. I didn't look for compo, I waited a few weeks and got it fixed to how it was supposed to be.

You didn't check the bottle, Tesco didn't check the boxes. You're both at fault, and Tesco are being very reasonable in covering your costs to get your hair fixed.

If you're that worried about damage to your hair, get a deep conditioning treatment done in the salon, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    You can try to talk to a solicitor about compensation, but I suspect you'd be laughed out of their office.

At the end of the day, there is no 'damage' done. In fact, brown dyes are generally a lot less harsh on hair than blonde, as blonde contains so much peroxide. So there was probably less damage done than if you had dyed it blonde. All dye treatments cause some damage, so no compo on that score.

As for the 'ordeal' - it's two weeks of brown hair. It's not a massive inconvenience. I got a blue dye that turned my hair purple. I didn't look for compo, I waited a few weeks and got it fixed to how it was supposed to be.

You didn't check the bottle, Tesco didn't check the boxes. You're both at fault, and Tesco are being very reasonable in covering your costs to get your hair fixed.

If you're that worried about damage to your hair, get a deep conditioning treatment done in the salon, too.
    This scenario is so crazy it must be a troll. Who in their right mind could seriously claim damages as the shade/colour of dye is not what they wanted.

It's like something you would see coming out of the USA. McDonald's made me fat, the coffee was to hot. Etc etc

It cannot be serious. And if it is, don't engage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

This scenario is so crazy it must be a troll. Who in their right mind could seriously claim damages as the shade/colour of dye is not what they wanted.

It's like something you would see coming out of the USA. McDonald's made me fat, the coffee was to hot. Etc etc

Yup, but the rule is to treat every post as genuine, or report what you think is a troll thread. I have friends that would want to sue for something equally silly, so I'm treating it as genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

LyndaMcL wrote: »

Yup, but the rule is to treat every post as genuine, or report what you think is a troll thread. I have friends that would want to sue for something equally silly, so I'm treating it as genuine.
    I see your point and agree with you, buts it's so wrong. If it was my wife she would be told to cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

If you'd had real medical issues with the hair dye you might a right to feel agrieved.
    The claims culture once so shamelessly prevalent in this country seems to be less acceptable to the average person now. Money isn't everything , and you are doing pretty well getting a top treatment courtesy of Tecsos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

1340189515113.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm sure that somewhere on the box they tell you to test on a small bit. This would cover them. Is there a color label on the individual bottle in the box? What would the basis of compensation be? Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I bought a golf driver for 300e and it promised to increase the distance of my drives. It didn't. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Pretty sure the actual dye product has the colour labelled on it. Since it advises you to do a strand test (and I'd imagine it also says to ensure all contents are as described) then you're doing more than well to get what tesco have offered.
    And if you're that precious about your hair you might want to know what my hairdresser told me:it's easier to strip hair that's been salon dyed 100 times than hair dyed once with the home kits..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Its like telling a judge I'm sueing a petrol station because I put petrol in my diesel car. "Sorry judge I didn't bother checking the pumps" just like you didn't bother check the bottle. Do you see how stupid it sounds? A solicitor might tell you have a case because it doesn't matter to them if they win or lose, they will still get paid and probably have a laugh about it behind your back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

areyawell wrote: »
    Its like telling a judge I'm sueing a petrol station because I put petrol in my diesel car. "Sorry judge I didn't bother checking the pumps" just like you didn't bother check the bottle. Do you see how stupid it sounds? A solicitor might tell you have a case because it doesn't matter to them if they win or lose, they will still get paid and probably have a laugh about it behind your back.

If the pump was marked petrol but was in fact diesel and the car was damaged, if the petrol station accepted responsibility and paid for the repair. Would there be a reasonable expectation of compensation for the "ordeal" - I think not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement