Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 525tds

Options
  • 27-08-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Im looking at a 98 BMW 525tds, automatic, 160k on the clock.

What sort of milage should one be getting. I drive relatively easy and mainly on back roads ?

How much are tyres for this car ?

Are parts expensive.

Overall are they a good car
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What sort of milage should one be getting. I drive relatively easy and mainly on back roads ?

Maybe late 20's
    I get 25mpg on my remapped 525d (E60 Version though) when using it 100% city driving. That jumps up with motorway driving though.
    How much are tyres for this car ?

depends, people always ask this question as if it has a bearing on the car. If it has 15" wheels on it then tyres can be got for €35. If it has 21" wheels then your looking at considerably more.
    Are parts expensive.

From a main dealer, yes. Stick to the likes of motor factors, Otto, Mister Auto etc and they are no more expensive than most other cars IMHO.
    Overall are they a good car

Yes if you get a well cared for one. Seemly they are bullet proof engine wise, as IIRC they are PRE turbo, swirl flaps issues etc etc that the newer (mine) suffer from.

Have you link to the car in question?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No NCT could be a black hole....
    Either check them out extensively or get a mechanic to.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

Is there anything specific to look for and is there any common problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

possibly a small issue....but the drivers seat looks mangled in the adverts one, don't think I could live with that lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Dont get me wrong, but that car needs money spending for a test, eg those two headlights are full of condensation and even from breakers your costs will add.

Why not spend a little more. Often see good tested ones on donedeal for c.1k. Even though every1s buying diesel, the tax on these frightens people away so good deals to be had.......and if it was me it would have to be manual

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

Dont get me wrong, but that car needs money spending for a test, eg those two headlights are full of condensation and even from breakers your costs will add.

Why not spend a little more. Often see good tested ones on donedeal for c.1k. Even though every1s buying diesel, the tax on these frightens people away so good deals to be had.......and if it was me it would have to be manual

Ya spotted the lights and a few scrapes on it myself, also will need a seat, so I think I will take your advice on board, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the tax every year will be more than the car is worth! its €1005 at the moment, will no doubt increase for budget...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

If you like these dont let the tax frighten you, its €20 euro a week, a 1.9 tdi golf is €13 a week, not a big difference, but this is a large and for its time very refined diesel( i still love the noise they make) and late 20s is a bit pessimistic regarding economy. Used to have a 325 tds and always bettered 30 with very enthusiastic driving, longer runs approaching 40, lovely cars, if you really want one i know of a silver 95 tds auto which may be for sale

Advertisement