Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dependant Child Question(tax question)

Options
  • 27-08-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have a dependant child but am not living with my ex-partner and officially pay the minimum to her on a weekly basis, un-officially I cover everything.
    However, can I claim for a dependant child for any tax credits to benefit me and my wages?
    What knock on effects might this have for my ex-partner?
    What documentation will I need to present/prepare to attain any possible tax credit?

Thanks for any info its much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Moved from state benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

The only tax credit available for a child is where the child is incapacitated by reason of mental or physical infirmity. There is no tax credit for a child that does not have such disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

A person who is not entitled to the married/civil partnership tax credit, and who proves that a child resides with him or her for all or part of a tax year is entitled to the one-parent family tax credit.

In practice, where a separated couple have a child and that child spends at least some time with each of the couple, then they are both entitled to the one-parent child tax credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

nompere wrote: »
    A person who is not entitled to the married/civil partnership tax credit, and who proves that a child resides with him or her for all or part of a tax year is entitled to the one-parent family tax credit.

In practice, where a separated couple have a child and that child spends at least some time with each of the couple, then they are both entitled to the one-parent child tax credit.

One of the terms and conditions is that the claimant cannot be cohabiting with another person. Keep that in mind as it can be withdrawn.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it9.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If the child stays with you one night of the year you can claim the one parent family credit.

You dont get any relief for maintainance for children. Ever.

The State does not subsidise you to support your own children.

• Advertisement
Advertisement