Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA Query

Options
  • 27-08-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi,
    I attended college in 2002-2005 and graduated with a level 8 qualification. Since then I have done nothing with this qualification due to the recession and loss of interest in it. I never claim BTEA for this course.

Since being made redundant last year, I have now decided that I would like to go back to college next year. However it will be another level 8 qualification in another topic.

But I have heard that I will be not entitled to get BTEA at all for this course as I have previously attended college. Someone did mention that I had to wait ten years but unsure of the rule. I did try and find information online regarding the criteria for BTEA to no avail, regarding my situation.

Can anyone clarify this situation for me. If I cant get BTEA I will be back to the drawing board as this course topic is not available part-time or FAS don't do something similar in my area.
    Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

madfcuker wrote: »
    Hi,
    I attended college in 2002-2005 and graduated with a level 8 qualification. Since then I have done nothing with this qualification due to the recession and loss of interest in it. I never claim BTEA for this course.

Since being made redundant last year, I have now decided that I would like to go back to college next year. However it will be another level 8 qualification in another topic.

But I have heard that I will be not entitled to get BTEA at all for this course as I have previously attended college. Someone did mention that I had to wait ten years but unsure of the rule. I did try and find information online regarding the criteria for BTEA to no avail, regarding my situation.

Can anyone clarify this situation for me. If I cant get BTEA I will be back to the drawing board as this course topic is not available part-time or FAS don't do something similar in my area.
    Thanks for all your help.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7928/back-to-education-allowance/index.html
    I already have a higher education qualification, however my career plans have changed and I want to do another undergraduate qualification at an equivalent level. Is it possible to get the BTEA in these circumstances?

In general, no. Only in very exceptional cases is it possible to get the BTEA in these circumstances. You should contact your local social welfare officer for guidance.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have a Level 7 degree. I did a Level 5 last year and want to progress to Level 6. Can I get the BTEA? The Level 5 was done through FAS so I was getting JSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I have a Level 7 degree. I did a Level 5 last year and want to progress to Level 6. Can I get the BTEA? The Level 5 was done through FAS so I was getting JSA.

As a rule no. You cannot get BTEA for a lower level of qualification than you already have.

Advertisement