Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Cases

Options
  • 27-08-2012 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

I assume the vast majority of sexual offence cases are held in camera and are not reported on? In practise how does this effect the prosecution / defense of a case? Is there less of a reliance on previous cases in Criminal Law?

If cases are held in camera does it preclude the basic facts being used. DPP v FB for example - I have this is my text but can't find the case reported on justis.

Sorry I realise these are probably stupid questions but any help / pointers are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Did you try bailii.org? Sexual offence cases aren't reported any less frequently than any other type of case, to my knowledge; for instance family cases are heard in camera but there are plenty of judgments available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I think the issue is that some of the cases I'm reading about were head in the CCC - I take it the chances of getting a case reported from the CCC is pretty similar to civil cases from the 'normal' circuit court?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I think the issue is that some of the cases I'm reading about were head in the CCC - I take it the chances of getting a case reported from the CCC is pretty similar to civil cases from the 'normal' circuit court?

No written judgments almost without exception, so...

Another more general question if I may? Where do writers get their info from in these types of cases? Is it actually bing there or though people connected with the case?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Another more general question if I may? Where do writers get their info from in these types of cases? Is it actually bing there or though people connected with the case?

What exactly are you talking about? The Central Criminal Court occasionally gives a written decision, usually on sentence e.g. DPP v Drought.

However, most trials do not have written judgments and as such most trials are not reported in law reports or written decisions. They are occasionally reported in say the Irish Times, but that is just whatever they want to report.

The law in criminal cases is decided on appeal, either the Court of Criminal Appeal or the Supreme Court. These courts are just as likely to give a written decision in a sexual case as in any other case, with appropriate redactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I assume the vast majority of sexual offence cases are held in camera and are not reported on?

I think you assume "in camera" is the same as having reporting restrictions imposed. True in camera hearings will involve only the participants and the officials (judge, clerk etc) with the public and press precluded.

Thanks for clearing those points up for me. To clarify I wonder where academic writers get their information from. I realise (now ty all) that the point of law comes from the appeal but I'm still curious as to where writers get their info from when a case is not reported. Presumably there is some other source such as following the case? Or do they just take points from the appeal?

Advertisement