Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness Benefit to Invalidity Pension

Options
  • 26-08-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭

My mum has been on IB for the max allowable 2 years and has been advised to apply for IP given that she is still undergoing medical treatment and is therefore not available for work. From reading other threads here it seems to be a rather lengthy process and I was wondering if she can claim anything during the whole process as she will then have no income?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

She should apply for IP long before her present benefit runs out. That way she may still have income while awaiting the IP. Has she completely exhausted her 2 years? If so she should go to the local CWO, and apply for Supplementary Welfare while awaiting the IP decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Theres only a few weeks left on it. My dad is working so would she still qualify for supplementary welfare allowance because of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Theres only a few weeks left on it. My dad is working so would she still qualify for supplementary welfare allowance because of that?
    Very unlikely as it's means tested. My wife is in the same situation. Her IB ended two months ago and she is not able to work anymore owing to injury. She was relying on Invalidity Pension being approved but this has not happened. As I work she will not qualify for any other payment of any sort from DSP, despite holding up her end of the Social Contract by paying contributions for over 38 years. At sixty four years of age it's most unlikely she will ever work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

PeadarB wrote: »
    Very unlikely as it's means tested. My wife is in the same situation. Her IB ended two months ago and she is not able to work anymore owing to injury. She was relying on Invalidity Pension being approved but this has not happened. As I work she will not qualify for any other payment of any sort from DSP, despite holding up her end of the Social Contract by paying contributions for over 38 years. At sixty four years of age it's most unlikely she will ever work again.
    Can you even sign on as unemployed using your stamps? Might check that out. At least at 64 she will get a pension in another year or so.
    My mum worked for 23 years while having constant health issues until things came to a head 2 years ago and she had to leave. She cant possibly be considered available for work when she's still receiving hospital treatment but it looks like thats the way it is

Advertisement