Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Shannon - Liverpool been cancelled??

Options
  • 26-08-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Just wondering if anyone has heard the Shannon - Liverpool Ryanair route has been cancelled?
    Last time there was talk of the routes being cancelled it got reduced to 3 times a week. I was just looking for flights in Nov or Dec and cant get any details yet Shannon - Stanstead the same dates had prices up.
    This is a very popular route I will be gutted if it has finished:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's still listed on the Shannon Airport site on the summer 2012 and winter 2012/2013 schedules. It's listed as 4 days a week from the end of October till the end of next March.

http://www.shannonairport.com/gns/plan-your-trip/book-a-flight.aspx

But it doesn't seem to be showing up on Ryanair's site when I try a booking for November. Maybe they haven't loaded the winter schedule on the site yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Looks like the Liverpool route is being cut. Gran Canaria too.

http://www.clare.fm/news/ryanair-cut-shannon-flights
    The airline has confirmed to Clare FM that as part of it's upcoming winter schedule, services to Liverpool and Gran Canaria will be cut, with weekly flight frequencies at the MidWest Airport being reduced by 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Liverpool flight finishes on Sunday November 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eskanw

I use that route about 10 times a year and members of my family coming this way to visit me about the same amount of times and it is usually at least 75% full if not completely full. It is really popular for soccer fans all over the north of England too I am sooo disappointed!!
    Have to use Aer Lingus into Manchester now and pay double the price:mad::mad: or take the boat and have a 13 hour journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 pippa2006

Can't believe this ..this flight is always full. I'm going on Sun.
    Any point in lobbying the local politicians? it cant be just me and you that this will inconvenience. How much would it have cost to keep the route?
    Any chance of a replacement service from another airline?
    Surely if everyone who uses it got together it would be a lot of people requesting a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Snow Leopard

pippa2006 wrote: »
    Any point in lobbying the local politicians?.

What use would this be?

The route was obviously a loss-making one for Ryanair, otherwise it would not have been cut. The airline is not in the business of operating routes for the "convenience" of the local population; if there was money to be made on Shannon/Liverpool, Ryanair would still be there.

I don't see why anyone should be hugely inconvenienced by the loss of the route. Aer Lingus have a frequent, well-timed service into nearby Manchester.

its inconvenient if you want to visit Liverpool and its more costly and time consuming with Aer Lingus. I don't understand how a full flight can be "loss making" and the politicians should be doing all they can to keep services at Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

The public servants have failed miserably at keeping Shannon going. Time to hand it over to a private entity, with NO interference from doo-gooder local or national politicos. If not that let's join NATO and get the Yanks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

pippa2006 wrote: »
    its inconvenient if you want to visit Liverpool and its more costly and time consuming with Aer Lingus. I don't understand how a full flight can be "loss making" and the politicians should be doing all they can to keep services at Shannon.

The flight may be full but the fares taken may not cover the cost of operating the flight as fares may drop to get people on board. As for the politicians, yes I agree they should get out of there offices and put pressure on the government to split shannon up from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bannerlady20

This flight is re starting on the 31 March 2013. The flight's are now bookable on the Ryanair website.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eskanw

Thanks for that info banerlady, am going to book my flight for easter:)

Thanks for that info banerlady, am going to book my flight for easter

No Problem. :)

many thanks for that info.. great to know!!

many thanks for that info.. great to know!!

No problem.:)

It's great to see the route return.

Advertisement